Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrWeenus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2017
Romania
I honestly didn't expect these little things to sound this goddamn great. I just bought two and set them up in a stereo pair on my desk. I am more than impressed and now I gotta get two big ones to replace my aging Logitech sound system.

I wonder how the big HomePods compare to the minis. Of course there will be a difference. But would they be able to replace my aging Logitech z5500 system that has its speaker membranes all rotten and buzzing? 😂

Reactions: b17777

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
I own a few of the OG HomePods. In my experience, placement really matters. Not just where in the room, but what they sit on as well. My big ones seem to do best when placed on solid, firm surfaces (Not hollow book cases), at least 4 inches from walls, and level with or below the height of the ears of listener.

Their most remarkable quality for me is the ability to completely fill a room with sound. Close your eyes and you'd be challenged to know exactly where they are placed. The high excursion woofer produces good bass. I assume the newer generation of HomePods also delivers similar quality audio... I think the only big difference is a few less tweeters.

They might be overkill for an office desk though. And they are not ideal as computer speakers. There will be lag/latency due to how AirPlay works.

MrWeenus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2017
Romania
Hmm, I wonder how the bass response is like on the big HomePods, the 2nd gen of course.

I do enjoy having a bit of rattle and the old faithful Logitech z5500 delivers - they advertise 500W RMS after all. But all the speakers are rotten and I'm not sure if it's worth fixing them or get another sound system.

Two big HomePods are around $850 here, since Apple does not officially sell them and we have to import them. I have also been eyeballing the Logitech z906, which is the (crappier) successor to z5500.

MrWeenus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2017
Romania
Yes, I would presume that the big HomePods are better than the minis. But I'm still not sure if they can replace a full blown 5.1 system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.