Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SchilPhiller

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 29, 2023
I genuinely thought the latest Beta was finally going to fix this, but no. It continues, nearly every time to time out and say 'I'm having trouble connecting to the internet'. I'm making requests like 'pause' or 'turn it up' and it can't even figure it out. It's incredibly frustrating.

If it worked it'd be great. But so would have been Windows Vista... or cheap HP laptops.. "if they worked".

How is it so hard for Apple to fix this?

I'm not expecting it to be as useful at the Google Home Mini was in 2015.. I know that's too much for Siri. But for it to do the basic job of a speaker.

Rant over

6SpeedPourover

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2023
I'm with you. My HomePod and mini have been an absolute nightmare. They just randomly stopped working for me in July and it took me nearly a month to find a 10+ step solution involving factory resets of HomePods, Apple TV, and my router, creating an entirely new network and password, deleting my network settings, and starting from scratch. They worked. For nearly 10 glorious days they worked.

Now we're back to "Sorry, I'm having trouble with the connection. Check that your iPhone is connected to the same network". It is. I can see so clearly in so many places that it is. My router is within 8 feet of one HomePod and 12 feet of the other. My internet is very good. The problem is the HomePod and the HomePod mini. They are just poorly made and even more poorly maintained devices from Apple.

These problems are not rare, and they are very well documented on this forum and on many others. I'm sitting here staring at $400 worth of smart speakers that stop working on a white 4-5 times a month, and I've read countless threads across the internet about these stupid things breaking by regular release and beta release users. There may be some people with network problems, but the real problem is with how bad these devices are.

kagharaht

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2007
They sound very very good. When i have all 7 blasting Playing away it’s awesome in the house. The software horrible. You get the “sorry this is taking to long, there is a problem with Apple Music, sorry i didn’t get that”. you also get the one HP just stops playing then plays again then stops then plays while your other ones are playing fine. You also get the fun part where they just stop playing lol. Horrible software.

Reactions: tpannier

FHoff

Suspended
Mar 21, 2020
A yet many many people have experienced very few to no issues, like myself. I’ve been using the Original HomePod in a Stereo pair since they first came out with almost zero issues I recall once an update wouldn't update. Until I turned on reduce bass or something crazy like that. I also have numerous minis a couple of stereo paired again zero issues. The people with no issues, i would wager outnumber the ones with issues by a big number.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.