Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MsAMG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2020
U.K.
hello

Question for HomePod mini users.

The music I have collected across the decades (uploaded cds, iTunes/Amazon purchases, independent downloads, etc) are all in the iTunes library on my 2013-build iMac .... I am not always at my desk, my Mac is often 'asleep' ..... would a HomePod mini be able to access the playlists (presumably using AirPlay)? How easily is this achieved (I'm not a tech myster).

I am not interested in signing up for any subscription services such as Apple Music or buying extra iCloud space, I bought my music once already!

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.
Unless you are a subscriber to Apple Music, I do not believe that you can access your iTunes library from any other device besides where it 'resides', i.e. your iMac.

I have a large music library as well, that I have built up over many years, very similar perhaps to yours. I reluctantly began to subscribe to Apple Music perhaps a year or so ago, after using iTunes Match for a couple of years. Apple Music replaces that matching, plus provides access to the full range of music it offers, which is astonishingly deep.

I've been pleasantly surprised by how convenient it is. I now have access to my own music from any device, and whether or not I'm at home or not, plus I have the ability to stream or even download to my own library from the astonishingly broad music available from Apple Music.

You might want to give it a try. The music that you've purchased in the past is still yours, it remains in your library whether or not you continue with the Apple Music, and having that streaming source available has (in my case anyway) essentially eliminated any desire I have to purchase new music myself.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
I'm in the same boat - for several reasons, I'm not interested in paying a monthly fee to listen to music I already own. For the past couple of years I've used Apples "Remote" app (In the App Store) to control iTunes on my Mac and stream (push) music to my HomePods. It was "acceptable" but a bit laggy and sometimes I had to walk to the Mac and select speakers from there. Not super-convenient but it worked with minor frustrations.

I also own a couple of AppleTVs (Latest gen) and with iOS 14 I use those now. It's rock solid. Built a shortcut that turns on AppleTV, and selects my Shared iTunes Library. So with a button push, the TV turns on and lists all my iTunes playlists. I can then select one, and after that all Airplay targets can be managed via Control Center on my iPhone (Including switching targets, adjusting individual volumes, etc). My Mac Mini remains asleep - The AppleTV pulls the songs from the iTunes shared library (100% local) and streams to the target devices. Hope this helps.

MsAMG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2020
U.K.
Unless you are a subscriber to Apple Music, I do not believe that you can access your iTunes library from any other device besides where it 'resides', i.e. your iMac.

I have a large music library as well, that I have built up over many years, very similar perhaps to yours. I reluctantly began to subscribe to Apple Music perhaps a year or so ago, after using iTunes Match for a couple of years. Apple Music replaces that matching, plus provides access to the full range of music it offers, which is astonishingly deep.

I've been pleasantly surprised by how convenient it is. I now have access to my own music from any device, and whether or not I'm at home or not, plus I have the ability to stream or even download to my own library from the astonishingly broad music available from Apple Music.

You might want to give it a try. The music that you've purchased in the past is still yours, it remains in your library whether or not you continue with the Apple Music, and having that streaming source available has (in my case anyway) essentially eliminated any desire I have to purchase new music myself.

thank you Phil for your comprehensive reply. Like Dot said, i was hoping to avoid subscription services as it feels like I am paying to listen to music I already own, but it's likely the route I will have to go.

MsAMG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2020
U.K.
I'm in the same boat - for several reasons, I'm not interested in paying a monthly fee to listen to music I already own. For the past couple of years I've used Apples "Remote" app (In the App Store) to control iTunes on my Mac and stream (push) music to my HomePods. It was "acceptable" but a bit laggy and sometimes I had to walk to the Mac and select speakers from there. Not super-convenient but it worked with minor frustrations.

I also own a couple of AppleTVs (Latest gen) and with iOS 14 I use those now. It's rock solid. Built a shortcut that turns on AppleTV, and selects my Shared iTunes Library. So with a button push, the TV turns on and lists all my iTunes playlists. I can then select one, and after that all Airplay targets can be managed via Control Center on my iPhone (Including switching targets, adjusting individual volumes, etc). My Mac Mini remains asleep - The AppleTV pulls the songs from the iTunes shared library (100% local) and streams to the target devices. Hope this helps.

Thank you for replying. I only have a Mac (late 2013 i think) and an iPad Air (about 18months old).

The "remote" app sounds interesting and I will certainly look into that.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa

^ This is what you're going for. I find for pausing and selecting playlists, it works well. For selecting speakers (Output) it is very flakey. So I usually did that on the Mac - The good news there is that selections seem to persist even between restarts on the Mac.

Edit: I should add that in iOS 14, the "Music" app on the iPhone can also airplay your iTunes library to speakers. The problem is, of course, that ties up the audio on your iPhone. That's why the above Remote app is handy - it offloads all of that to the Mac.

Last edited:

Phil77354

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2014
Pacific Northwest, U.S.

^ This is what you're going for. I find for pausing and selecting playlists, it works well. For selecting speakers (Output) it is very flakey. So I usually did that on the Mac - The good news there is that selections seem to persist even between restarts on the Mac.

Edit: I should add that in iOS 14, the "Music" app on the iPhone can also airplay your iTunes library to speakers. The problem is, of course, that ties up the audio on your iPhone. That's why the above Remote app is handy - it offloads all of that to the Mac.
@dotme thanks for pointing that out. I had forgotten about the iTunes Remote app. And I haven't tried using it for quite a long time.

It is surely correct to say that the integration of the various music capabilities of Apples devices and services is less intuitive and transparent than it needs to be. . .

Reactions: MsAMG

MsAMG

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2020
U.K.

Thank you so much for taking the time to find this. Tomorrow I will wrangle to get it working. You do not realise what an amazing difference it will make to my everyday having access to my music again ?

Reactions: dotme
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.