Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gregpod9

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2007
I have two HomePod mini's and I use them as a stereo setup. When I ask Siri to play music from Apple Music, it does not play in lossless, it plays only in AAC. Lossless audio plays I open Apple Music and Airplay it to my HomePod mini's. Is this a known issue with the HomePod OS 15.2 and the HomePod mini?

IngoX

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2022
Sweden
Have you turned on the setting for lossless in the Home app on the iPhone/iPad you use to controll your homepod?

The Home icon top left coner > Home Settings > People > Apple Music > Lossless Audio

Reactions: HeartMan

gregpod9

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2007
Have you turned on the setting for lossless in the Home app on the iPhone/iPad you use to controll your homepod?

The Home icon top left coner > Home Settings > People > Apple Music > Lossless Audio
It's set on lossless audio and the Apple Music settings are set on lossless audio. I even did a complete factory setting restore on both HomePod mini. Randomly lossless audio works. The only workaround is using airplay from my iPhone. Right now I think it's a bug in the latest Home OS software update that has issues with Apple Music displaying the lossless audio badge at random times.

samlikesmac

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
I cannot even get it to play lossless via the iPhone. This must be a recent issue because my regular HomePods are still playing lossless. Honestly I’m really getting tired of how ridiculous this rollout has been. Like it’s literally audio, not rocket science.
First they weren’t even gonna support them, then they took 6 months to release a software update for them to play files that any other apps could play to the HomePods just fine for years prior (e.g. Tidal and Amazon)

Miltz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2013
You have to TURN OFF Dolby Atmos. If it's on it will use it and since the mini doesn't support it sound like crap. Turn it off in the settings and it will Always use Lossless. It took me a Week to figure out. Why Apple even allows this option on a device that doesn't support it is dumb.

samlikesmac

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010
You have to TURN OFF Dolby Atmos. If it's on it will use it and since the mini doesn't support it sound like crap. Turn it off in the settings and it will Always use Lossless. It took me a Week to figure out. Why Apple even allows this option on a device that doesn't support it is dumb.
Nope, I already tried that before and it makes no difference. The HomePod mini will not stream lossless no matter what. It will not stream lossless from iPhone to HomePod and will not stream lossless via handoff either. Dolby is turned off in the home and on my iPhone in this scenario. There’s definitely something wrong that wasn’t happening before.

Reactions: pappl

SardaarJi_OG

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2023
Can confirm this works, just after turning OFF Dolby Atmos, the Mini started playing Lossless audio.

Trevanian

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2022
Have had a lot of problems with my HomePod Minis, just switched off Dolby Atmos, because I only listen to music with them, and rebooted. Things are immediately better. can’t tell if it’s the reboot or the Dolby setting yet.
There’s no logical way that Dolby setting should do anything but the Home app is so bad that there’s actually a possibility it will!

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013
How does one tell if a mini is playing lossless or not? On my HomePods I can tell but not my minis.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.