Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

odHbo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Did Apple make the HomePod Mini with USB-C so it could also plug into a Mac? I'm just wondering, could there be some feature advantages to doing that?

I find the USB-C connection w/ separate power block an odd choice for a device that is intended to just sit and remain in one spot for the majority of its ownership. Most people don't have USB-C ports in their walls so....

A desk with a MacBook Pro and a HomePod mini (or 2) is kind of cool but they also just released a 13" MacBook Pro (Apple Silicon) with only 2 USB-C ports so that's all of your ports right there. It would really be convenient for people with 4-port USB-C MacBooks. Right?

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
USB-C was probably chosen due to the power requirement over something like USB mini/A or a proprietary cord. Other devices use USB-C for power only, e.g., Eero's.

Reactions: profets

ejin222

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2011
I plugged my Mini into my Mac Mini. It doesn't give enough juice to power it up. I resorted to using the 20W brick it came with.

odHbo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
I plugged my Mini into my Mac Mini. It doesn't give enough juice to power it up. I resorted to using the 20W brick it came with.
Thanks for the update. That’s a bummer.

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Did Apple make the HomePod Mini with USB-C so it could also plug into a Mac? I'm just wondering, could there be some feature advantages to doing that?

I find the USB-C connection w/ separate power block an odd choice for a device that is intended to just sit and remain in one spot for the majority of its ownership. Most people don't have USB-C ports in their walls so....

A desk with a MacBook Pro and a HomePod mini (or 2) is kind of cool but they also just released a 13" MacBook Pro (Apple Silicon) with only 2 USB-C ports so that's all of your ports right there. It would really be convenient for people with 4-port USB-C MacBooks. Right?

Could be that having the universal USB C connection saves on production costs. Make one device and then just package with region specific adaptor.

Reactions: odHbo

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
don't know too many details, but was reading something about the new MagSafe charger a couple days ago, and how it only gets the full 15 watts using the apple charging brick.
It uses a new spec called "PD 3.0", which allows the device and charger to negotiate higher power options, one of which uses 9 volts (as opposed to the usual 5v of USB)
On higher wattage chargers, it looks like the spec allows up to 20v

So it's quite possible, that the Mac doesn't have the hardware required to send 9v, but the new wall plug does.

the HomePod will probably work with any new chargers that support the PD specs

Reactions: profets

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
USB-C was probably chosen due to the power requirement over something like USB mini/A or a proprietary cord. Other devices use USB-C for power only, e.g., Eero's.

^This. Less than a 20W power supply to the HomePod mini and it doesn’t operate.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
It does bring up a good point though, there are some USB-C wall recepticle replacements that are 15w, wonder if they would be enough. I'm guessing no.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
don't know too many details, but was reading something about the new MagSafe charger a couple days ago, and how it only gets the full 15 watts using the apple charging brick.
It uses a new spec called "PD 3.0", which allows the device and charger to negotiate higher power options, one of which uses 9 volts (as opposed to the usual 5v of USB)
On higher wattage chargers, it looks like the spec allows up to 20v

So it's quite possible, that the Mac doesn't have the hardware required to send 9v, but the new wall plug does.

the HomePod will probably work with any new chargers that support the PD specs

Interesting. I see a PD 3.0 wall outlet listed on Amazon. Might look into getting it...

odHbo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 5, 2007
Could be that having the universal USB C connection saves on production costs. Make one device and then just package with region specific adaptor.
That seems very logical and cost effective. Good point.

rlhamil

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2010
Plugged into my MacBook Pro (16"), the HomePod Mini only blinks yellow, so maybe not enough power. BUT the Mac does recognize it, so SOME data communication can take place.

That makes me wonder if, with say a powered USB-C hub that has enough power for the HomePod Mini, plugged into a Mac, it might be possible to fix the HomePod Mini if it gets bricked by e.g. a bad update (there's no USB on a full size HomePod, at least not where one can get at it without rather destructive dismantling, if even there).

OTOH, even mere chargers CAN identify themselves, if only as part of establishing their legitimacy (and in some sense, they have to communicate their capabilities). So the appearance of some limited communication does NOT assure that there's any untapped possibilities there.

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
FWIW - my mini was recently delivered. Out of curiosity tried plugging it into an Anker charger that has multiple ports (mostly USB-A, but also a single 30W USB-C), and it works.

I guess its not that it needs the specific PD profile of 9V 2.2A from the 20W USB-C charger, as this Anker charger is older and does not have that profile.

Reactions: -BigMac- and Le0M

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
FWIW - my mini was recently delivered. Out of curiosity tried plugging it into an Anker charger that has multiple ports (mostly USB-A, but also a single 30W USB-C), and it works.

I guess its not that it needs the specific PD profile of 9V 2.2A from the 20W USB-C charger, as this Anker charger is older and does not have that profile.
Did you manage to get it working as a speaker via the usbc?

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Did you manage to get it working as a speaker via the usbc?

Do you mean as a speaker from a Mac while connected to it with USB-C? I didn't even think that's a thing.

Since my post a few years ago, I've installed some receptacles in the house that have USB-C with power delivery, and plug HomePod minis directly in without the need for a power supply.

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Do you mean as a speaker from a Mac while connected to it with USB-C? I didn't even think that's a thing.

Since my post a few years ago, I've installed some receptacles in the house that have USB-C with power delivery, and plug HomePod minis directly in without the need for a power supply.
Fair enough.

I’m trying to utilize the mini as a sort of “direct speaker” plugged right into the Mac, eliviating the need for the “airplay” portion completely. Just straight cable.

No delay, no lag, all sounds.

Doesnt seem like its possible tho :/

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
Fair enough.

I’m trying to utilize the mini as a sort of “direct speaker” plugged right into the Mac, eliviating the need for the “airplay” portion completely. Just straight cable.

That would be a cool option! Just tried plugging one into my iMac. It eventually started flashing an amber light on the top lol. I assume not enough power.

Promostyle

Contributor
Jul 1, 2002
Portland, OR
Fair enough.

I have a house full of HomePods and HomePod Minis and wanted to plug two minis into my Studio via their attached USB cords so I could avoid the airplay lag in my office. This cannot be done, because the HomePod Minis require 20 watts of power. Why would Apple make a USB corded speaker that cannot be plugged into any USB equipped Mac? Like, in an Apple store, the speakers that Apple makes as sells in the same store, cannot be plugged into any Macs that are in that same store. Going through the trouble of adding a USB connection and separate brick for it to plug into makes no sense. This corded speaker can only be plugged into a wall, not a Mac so why USB? Crazy, and further proof that Apple has no UX staff or teams.

Reactions: -BigMac-

rlhamil

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2010
You CAN do a restore on a bricked HomePod Mini via USB to a Mac. It may or may not succeed, and even if it says it does, it may or may not help (the problem may be something that can't update). I don't know that any other functionality beyond supplying power (EU seems to think anything that can be USB-C powered, should be) was intended, and without a powered USB-C hub (which I'm not going to buy to try an experiment I'm not personally interested in), I can't test that.

-BigMac-

macrumors demi-god
Apr 15, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I have a house full of HomePods and HomePod Minis and wanted to plug two minis into my Studio via their attached USB cords so I could avoid the airplay lag in my office. This cannot be done, because the HomePod Minis require 20 watts of power. Why would Apple make a USB corded speaker that cannot be plugged into any USB equipped Mac? Like, in an Apple store, the speakers that Apple makes as sells in the same store, cannot be plugged into any Macs that are in that same store. Going through the trouble of adding a USB connection and separate brick for it to plug into makes no sense. This corded speaker can only be plugged into a wall, not a Mac so why USB? Crazy, and further proof that Apple has no UX staff or teams.
Yea its absolutely wild that they don’t enable straight usb with their macs

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.