Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
iheartradio, and Pandora compatibility coming for it.

no mention of Spotify. Wowza

seems like an overt war by omission

Reactions: StaceyMJ86

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Didn’t they say apps/services like.....

I don’t think it means Spotify isn’t supported they just weren’t broadcasting it. I could be wrong but that’s how I understood it.

bbates123

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
Are there other ways to play Spotify on the HomePod Mini, like using Airplay from a Mac or iPhone?

starkmj

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2007
Are there other ways to play Spotify on the HomePod Mini, like using Airplay from a Mac or iPhone?

For sure, but most of us spotify users have been waiting for the next HomePod software upgrade to allow Spotify to be the default music service, so you could ask Siri to play anything from your Spotify account. A lot easier than opening up the app on your phone, choosing a song, and airplaying it to the HomePod.

djr7572

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2011
Yeah, the lack of Spotify sucks big time. I use Spotify because I can't stand the Apple Music app. I guess I'm gonna have to try to embrace Apple Music if I wanna use the Home Pod Mini :rolleyes:

bbates123

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
Sorry if this is a dumb question but other than Hey Siri support what is the advantage to having native Spotify support versus using Airplay?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
Sorry if this is a dumb question but other than Hey Siri support what is the advantage to having native Spotify support versus using Airplay?
having music play directly on the speaker, so you don't have to worry about what your phone is doing.

if you're air playing from your phone, and go to watch a YouTube video, or find a website with an auto play video. then you've lost your music, and whatever audio is now coming out of the HomePod.
With it playing directly on the speaker, that's not an issue.

Reactions: LeeW

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
Spotify chose to go at odds with Apple over App Store pricing. Not omission, return fire.

From what I have seen online, the 3rd party Music support provided by the 14.1 software update coming, basically relies on the provider supporting it, so Amazon, etc have already made the effort for it, but Spotify obviously being stubborn.

Screenshot 2020-10-18 at 12.19.53.png

Airplay.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I am sure Spotify will have the opportunity to get on the homepod but it is their choice. Will they? I think despite the issues between them and Apple they will take serious note of the Epic situation, specifically, the money Epic is loosing. Spotify is not going down that route, they will tuck their tail between their legs and make sure their service is available.

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
I am sure Spotify will have the opportunity to get on the homepod but it is their choice. Will they? I think despite the issues between them and Apple they will take serious note of the Epic situation, specifically, the money Epic is loosing. Spotify is not going down that route, they will tuck their tail between their legs and make sure their service is available.

They were given the opportunity a few months back, as part of the HomePod's 14 beta, along with Amazon, Pandora, Tunein, etc. They've already chosen not to. Spotify are harping on about Apple being Anti Competitive, but it's easy to say that when the ignore what options they are given.....

estockme

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
I currently have a small apartment with an echo that i would like to dispose of for privacy reasons. Will I be able to say 'play x on spotify on the sonos' as i currently do to my phone?

Ansath

macrumors demi-god
Jun 9, 2018
England
Basically, no, not at the moment. As Spotify haven’t bothered to take up the ability to play natively on HomePod, like Pandora, Amazon Music, etc you’d have to stream from your iPhone via AirPlay2.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
I currently have a small apartment with an echo that i would like to dispose of for privacy reasons. Will I be able to say 'play x on spotify on the sonos' as i currently do to my phone?

Well yes, but only as Sonos comes with Alexa or you can use Google Assistant, but I guess that is not what you want.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.