Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

breather

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
Sweden
Hi.

I'm thinking of getting one HomePod Mini and use it instead of the built in speakers in my 2015 27 inch iMac.

Questions..

* How´s the sound compared to the built in speakers? My guess is better, but how much better? How's the bass situation?
* I know I cant pair two HomePods for stereo through my iMac. But HomePods are supposed to be good at the "sound everywhere" effect, but is it? If I get one HomePod Mini, do I have to place it right behind the iMac or can I place it somewhat to the side of it and still get the "sound everywhere" effect?
* Pairing the HomePod Mini with my iMac is as simple as clicking the sound icon and choosing the HomePod Mini and it'll stay that way until I change it or reboot the iMac is my guess, correct?

I've never listened to a HomePod or a HomePod Mini.
Thanks

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
HomePod Mini sound is much better than built in imac speakers - all the more so with two in stereo. The mini doesn't really do "sound everywhere" the way the original HomePod does. With a single one it will sound very much like a mono speaker.

The bigger issue is that the HomePod doesn't really work for anything other than music and video when paired with a Mac - there is far too much lag over Airplay to make it usable.

I still use a stereo pair in front of my iMac, but primarily for music listening, videos, and phone calls. The iMac does all system sounds and video calling over its internal speakers.

Reactions: breather

breather

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 26, 2011
Sweden
So I would need 2 paired Minis to get stereo and since you cant pair a paired pair of Homepods with an iMac I'm doomed.
Would one regular sized HomePod deliver the stereo effect (decently) if placed right behind the iMac?

Oh... and there's lag? Are awe talking seconds or milliseconds?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Even a standard HomePod isn't going to sound like stereo from a single speaker. The "sound everywhere" function of the regular HomePod comes into play when placed in a larger space where your listening position is not fixed - say in a kitchen or livingroom where you are constantly moving around - it will continue to sound good from most positions - but still not sound like stereo.

When you are at a fixed position at your desk from close range, it's going to sound like it's coming from one speaker, and it's still going to have all the delay problems of using real-time sounds over Airplay.

Reactions: breather

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I hope the OP doesn't mind, but I want to tack on a parallel question. I plan to use the HomePod Mini with my new M1 MacMini. Will I be able to use Tidal, or YouTube audio output while using Safari? I have a feeling that the HomePod Mini will not work with anything but Apple Music. Please help! I may need to cancel my order.

Ninja Dom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2007
I hope the OP doesn't mind, but I want to tack on a parallel question. I plan to use the HomePod Mini with my new M1 MacMini. Will I be able to use Tidal, or YouTube audio output while using Safari? I have a feeling that the HomePod Mini will not work with anything but Apple Music. Please help! I may need to cancel my order.
Exactly the same here. Got a HomePod Mini ordered and will use it with the new M1 Mac mini.

One thing I discovered is that when I use my Mac mini with my Beats Pill speaker via Bluetooth, the audio for FaceTime calls doesn't come through the Beats Pill. Everything else works fine except for FaceTime calls, which I have to revert back to the Mac internal speaker. Anybody know why? Seems like it's also the same from the HomePod mini too.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Exactly the same here. Got a HomePod Mini ordered and will use it with the new M1 Mac mini.

One thing I discovered is that when I use my Mac mini with my Beats Pill speaker via Bluetooth, the audio for FaceTime calls doesn't come through the Beats Pill. Everything else works fine except for FaceTime calls, which I have to revert back to the Mac internal speaker. Anybody know why? Seems like it's also the same from the HomePod mini too.
It even does that with my MacBook Pro and AirPods. I wonder if its an unaddressed Apple bug.

Ninja Dom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2007
It even does that with my MacBook Pro and AirPods. I wonder if its an unaddressed Apple bug.
That is definitely strange, especially with AirPods. I’ll test mine tomorrow. But in this age where video calling/conferencing is so important, you’d think AirPods would work for FaceTime on a Mac, right?? :(:confused:

Reactions: jazz1

Ninja Dom

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2007
That is definitely strange, especially with AirPods. I’ll test mine tomorrow. But in this age where video calling/conferencing is so important, you’d think AirPods would work for FaceTime on a Mac, right?? :(:confused:
Okay tested it out.

Simple test, use my AirPods Pro with my M1 Mac mini in a FaceTime video call.

It worked fine. No problems whatsoever.

Remember to set the microphone in FaceTime to your webcam mic (or else you come out sounding muffled to the other person).

I'll test again with the HomePod mini once it arrives.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.