Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Apple at its finest…

So for the past couple weeks, every time I asked one of my HomePod Minis to perform a future task (turn off the exhaust fan in 25 minutes), it would say that it doesn’t recognize my voice. This would only happen when asking to perform a future task. By the way, I saw a few people complaining about this very issue on Reddit as well.

Now since yesterday, when I ask it to perform a future task, it drops Wi-Fi connection lol. That’s two days in a row now and I’d have to restart the HomePod in the Home app to get it back online.

Can someone please test this for me to see if they’re experiencing the same issue? I have a feeling Apple is doing some server side work and screwing up future task requests on the HomePod Mini.

By the way, this future task request works fine on my iPhone and all my devices are running the latest public releases of OS’s. No beta software on any device.

Many thanks.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Just tried it on one of my HomePod minis and it says sorry I don’t recognise your voice you can turn on personal requests in the Home app.

I then ask the same HomePod who am I and it recognises me.

Also I can’t get my HomePods to read out my latest latest messages anymore as it says still setting up personal requests. I’ve had this particular issue for about a week.

I don't notice any dropping Wi-Fi issues though.

For info, I am on the latest 17 wave of software on every single device.

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Just tried it on one of my HomePod minis and it says sorry I don’t recognise your voice you can turn on personal requests in the Home app.

I then ask the same HomePod who am I and it recognises me.

Also I can’t get my HomePods to read out my latest latest messages anymore as it says still setting up personal requests. I’ve had this particular issue for about a week.

I don't notice any dropping Wi-Fi issues though.

For info, I am on the latest 17 wave of software on every single device.
Many thanks for checking. I just tried again. This time the HomePod did stay online but got the same message stating it doesn’t recognize my voice. I suspect this isn’t a widely used feature or it would be making more waves. Works great for a couple months then doesn’t for a couple months. I use it daily so I notice when it’s gone to crap.

There were no updates to my HomePods since it happened so not sure what the heck Apple is doing on their end.

By the way, tried asking to read my latest messages and it worked fine on my end so that might be a beta issue.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
No worries, any time.

Well I hope they bring the feature back because since finding out you could use Siri to turn off a device after a certain amount of time (I think you taught me that) I’ve used it quite a lot. But the way Apple treat HomeKit, it wouldn’t surprise me if they just leave it bugged for the rest of its life.

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
No worries, any time.

Well I hope they bring the feature back because since finding out you could use Siri to turn off a device after a certain amount of time (I think you taught me that) I’ve used it quite a lot. But the way Apple treat HomeKit, it wouldn’t surprise me if they just leave it bugged for the rest of its life.
It will be back, but then it will be crap. It’s a vicious cycle lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.