Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
Hello, I bought a HomePod mini and I am having a really hard time setting it up. I tried with my iPhone and went through all the steps. It said it was configuring. I waited several hours and even left it in this state overnight but it was simply stuck.

I’ve reset it 3 times and even tried my iPad. It always says “HomePod is being configured.” There’s no status bar or anything to indicate it’s actually configuring or if it’s just stuck.

Does anyone have any ideas? I’m really disappointed that an apple product is so hard to set up. Thanks for any help.

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
It’s not hard to set up. You probably got a dud. It happens. Contact Apple, return it, or exchange it. You shouldn’t be having this much trouble. I’ve had 9 HomePods and they all setup super easily.

Italianblend

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 21, 2011
Fatima
It’s not hard to set up. You probably got a dud. It happens. Contact Apple, return it, or exchange it. You shouldn’t be having this much trouble. I’ve had 9 HomePods and they all setup super easily.
I appreciate the response and normally I would agree, it should be easy. However the HomePod Reddit is littered with threads about this problem. So it’s not just my device.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I appreciate the response and normally I would agree, it should be easy. However the HomePod Reddit is littered with threads about this problem. So it’s not just my device.
Reset the mini, make sure it is also removed from the Home app, log into appleid.apple.com and remove the mini from your list of devices, go through the setup in the Home app.

I experienced the same problem numerous times with minis when I had them, and that usually solved the configuring problem.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
You can also try moving it closer to the router for the purposes of setting it up, then place it wherever. The HomePods have a weak WiFi radio.

Reactions: JBaby

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015

For me issues come up with updates and not initial setup. One of the 16 updates bricked two of my minis and one of my OG 1st Gens. The tops just showed red and said hold until I heard three beeps. I did and it was just an endless loop of asking me to hold for the beeps. With this being a brand new device I’d still try a contacting  first because I have AppleCare, but that’s just me.

You can also try moving it closer to the router for the purposes of setting it up, then place it wherever. The HomePods have a weak WiFi radio.

This is exactly what I did. I just got 4 more of them in the last two months. Two of them minis. I set them up all in the same place then put them in their final destinations. I did this even though I have an excellent WiFi network.

Reactions: Itinj24

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
All 3 of my HomePod Minis just stopped working at the same time yesterday (“I’m having trouble connecting to the internet”) and are now stuck “being configured”. There are no problems with a weak wifi signal. Rebooting didn’t help and there’s no software update available for them (although an auto-update is likely what killed them). I can try connecting to a computer but that’s a real PITA since I have the cables threaded through some tricky places and they didn’t put a connector on the HomePod side. Thanks Apple!

Morseman

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2022
I figured it out. I had to plug the HomePod into iTunes and update the software first. Then it worked. Thanks all.
How do you plug a Homepod into iTunes. I have the 1st gen Homepod and I don't think there are any connections or ports, other than the power cable.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
How do you plug a Homepod into iTunes. I have the 1st gen Homepod and I don't think there are any connections or ports, other than the power cable.
you can't with the full size, it only applies to the minis which have a USB-C cable

pappl

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2020
Europe
Bought several Homepod minis at the Apple Store.
They came with different HompodOS versions. Some 14.x, some 16.x…

All Homepods with HPOS 14.x were stuck in configuring. These are maybe the oldest stock models, they had an apple Sticker inside the box. All other without Apple Stickers inside run flaeless.
Solved it by plugging in the configuring homepods to a Mac and updating to HPOS 17.1 in Finder, then plugging them in the wall socket and doing a reset by holding the button immediately until Siri says „Resetting soon“. Then they were running fine with configuring for only one Minute.
In addition i set them to Wifi 2.4Ghz band only in Wifi Router to stop switching wifi bands and losing connection.

kthprog

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2024
The latest way to fix this issue, if you have a HomePod that can be connected to a MacBook, is to connect to the MacBook, and click on the HomePod device that shows up in Finder. There will be a button to "Restore" your HomePod, which will both reset it, and update it to the latest software. They are aware that this is an issue, and yet still sell old stock that they know will break for many users when they attempt to update it, rather than just updating their stock before shipping it. Pretty ridiculous.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.