Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dustin_

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 6, 2021
Banderas Bay, Mexico
Hey all,

Here's a fun one. I'm running the latest HomeKit architecture; of course all the devices in my home are on 16.2. Last night I brought home a new HomePod mini & attempted to add it to my home. No go. Not possible. When going through the regular setup screens I was asked to log-in to iCloud & then greeted with a popup explaining that I couldn't add the new mini because not all devices in my home were running 16.2.

After attempting multiple times, I then created a new home & tried again. Got the same error. Called Apple support & while on the phone realized I should try creating a new home using my husband's phone. The mini successfully paired that way, and automatically downloaded and installed 16.2. Once that was complete I was able to remove it from our newly created home, and then pair & add it to our regular shared home using my own iPhone. A ridiculously frustrating experience, but we got it done.

Anyway, just a warning to anyone running the new HomeKit architecture... If you get a new mini for Christmas, it won't pair to your home before being upgraded to 16.2. Hopefully you've got another device to upgrade it first!

I cannot believe Apple released architecture upgrade into the wild like this & am glad they've pulled it for now.

Edit: Looks like you can also use your Mac to upgrade your mini to 16.2.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Hey all,

Here's a fun one. I'm running the latest HomeKit architecture; of course all the devices in my home are on 16.2. Last night I brought home a new HomePod mini & attempted to add it to my home. No go. Not possible. When going through the regular setup screens I was asked to log-in to iCloud & then greeted with a popup explaining that I couldn't add the new mini because not all devices in my home were running 16.2.

After attempting multiple times, I then created a new home & tried again. Got the same error. Called Apple support & while on the phone realized I should try creating a new home using my husband's phone. The mini successfully paired that way, and automatically downloaded and installed 16.2. Once that was complete I was able to remove it from our newly created home, and then pair & add it to our regular shared home using my own iPhone. A ridiculously frustrating experience, but we got it done.

Anyway, just a warning to anyone running the new HomeKit architecture... If you get a new mini for Christmas, it won't pair to your home before being upgraded to 16.2. Hopefully you've got another device to upgrade it first!

I cannot believe Apple released architecture upgrade into the wild like this & am glad they've pulled it for now.

Edit: Looks like you can also use your Mac to upgrade your mini to 16.2.

Great tip! Will have that situation tomorrow. Thanks for posting.

• Love
Reactions: dustin_

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Had this same predicament with a couple of new HomePod minis. This one is a head scratcher. How the heck did they ship a new architecture without the ability to update a device as part of the setup process? Apple Support is about to be flooded!
Awful miss from Apple.

Reactions: dustin_
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.