Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seinman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2011
Philadelphia
Thanks to u/SconnieFella on Reddit, we now have an FCC document confirming that the Mini will use USB-C on the plug end of it's power cord. So the "20 watt power adapter" included in the box is almost certainly the same one being sold for iPhone/iPad use.

Table 1-2. ISED Limits for Maximum Permissible Exposure (MPE) EUT Description

The Equipment Under Test (EUT) is the Apple Smart Speaker FCC ID: BCG-A2374 and IC: 579C- A2374 with touch display, microphone and captive USB-C power cable.

Based on this and estimating the power draw and voltage used, it should last between 4 and 10 hours on a 10,000 mAh power bank. I'm assuming closer to 8-10 than 4, but until I have one and can measure its power use I had to leave a big margin of error.

Last edited:
Reactions: chabig

easy4lif

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2005
Southbay CA
“captive USB-C power cable.”

this part leads me to believe it’s non removable. Also, the s5 SOC doesn’t require a whole lot of power. Apple could have easily included a usb type A to lighting cable a cheap 5 watt power adapter

seinman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2011
Philadelphia
“captive USB-C power cable.”

this part leads me to believe it’s non removable.

I'm sure it's "non-removable" on the HomePod end, just like the full size one is "non-removable" (but comes out if you pull really hard). Which is also why it's likely not included on the "what's in the box" list, as the "non-removable" power cord of the HomePod isn't listed there either.

DarwinOSX

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2009
I'm sure it's "non-removable" on the HomePod end, just like the full size one is "non-removable" (but comes out if you pull really hard). Which is also why it's likely not included on the "what's in the box" list, as the "non-removable" power cord of the HomePod isn't listed there either.

You are sure of that how or why?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
Also, the s5 SOC doesn’t require a whole lot of power. Apple could have easily included a usb type A to lighting cable a cheap 5 watt power adapter

Don't forgot about the power needed to drive the speakers.

if they could have included the 5w, they absolutely would have
if they have an either/or choice like that, where either choice will work just as well as the other. But one choice saves them even 1 cent per unit, they'll go with the cheaper option. As would any manufacturer, those pennies add up over thousands of units.

Stuipdboy1000

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
The new 20W charger seems to be the default in new products. The new iPad 10.2 comes with a USB-C to Lightning cable ad the new 20W charger. Apple are probably trying to phase out producing any new 5W chargers and just including this 20W charger as it costs pennies to them.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
The new 20W charger seems to be the default in new products. The new iPad 10.2 comes with a USB-C to Lightning cable ad the new 20W charger. Apple are probably trying to phase out producing any new 5W chargers and just including this 20W charger as it costs pennies to them.
It'd be nice if they actually included those with iPhones instead of just completely removing power adapters.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.