Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Berlinerbrat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2018
Hello,
Newbie poster but longtime lurker posing a question. If and or when my HomePod 1st generation fails, should I pay the $300 out of warranty replacement fee or, purchase the new HomePod? I'm somewhat conflicted for the following reasons... I have 7 of the original models with three stereo pairs and one single in four rooms. I exhausted some of my AppleCare coverage and when one failed (constant steady licking/popping) I replaced it under the "out of warranty service" option. I did have a sympathetic apple advisor who graciously waived the $300 fee (that's another story). Once apple announced discontinuation of the Gen 1 model, I mothballed some of my 7 units and replaced some pairs with 4 Minis. I put the old ones away thinking that another HomePod would not be produced by Apple so wanted to have them in readiness if any of my two remaining pairs began to fail. I have experienced the "burp of death" from one or two of my active ones. Too many threads detailing original owners experiencing no problems with their original models vrs gen ones failing (as two of mine did -one replaced under AppleCare)
Now that apple has released the generation two models I'm wondering what your thoughts are on replacement. The tech specs are too close to call... 7 tweeters vrs 5, 6 mics vrs 4, AC wifi vrs N class and the silicon chip/temp and humidity differences. Though I have a robust smart home with Lutron lighting, fans etc I'm not the biggest fan of Siri and HomeKit -and there are plenty of threads here on that issue.
Now if the gen two price dropped a bit... $249, $199? I would replace the old ones. And I presume apple techs would say "why not just buy a new pod for the same price? instead of the replacement". I agree that there's no comparison to the mini, though it seems that with the recent 16.3 update my minis are sounding better -especially in the bass range, so maybe the computational audio software will continue to level the aural playing field. So, I'm hoping my originals continue to rock out, and perhaps apple lowers the price on the new ones while keeping my fingers crossed. Was this part of Apple's strategy? Why would they want to keep a warehouse full of the old 1st gen HomePods at the same price so anyone needing replacement has to make a choice... why not make it easy? Perhaps they'll lower the OofW replacement 1st gen prices? Maybe I'm unduly hesitant to reinvest in the new models for fear of the same issue occurring (discontinuation, hardware failures etc) -or did apple learn from any mistakes with the gen 1?
Thanks for reading this lengthy post... curious to see the thinking on this situation.

Last edited:

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
I have 9 OGs and so far I've lost one to the issue you describe (replaced under AC+ - Yes, I bought 2 year coverage on them at the time because they were $199 at Best Buy, and I had one die at the 14 month mark).

I will not spend $279 for an OOW replacement OG that has, at best, 90 days of coverage.

I'm pretty sure they had one OG manufacturing run, and so even the ones Apple has held back for replacements likely have the same potential hardware issue.

I would hope Apple and whoever they partner with to build HomePods has fixed that on the Gen 2 units. I also imagine that while internally they have less mics and tweeters, they sound every bit as amazing as the originals. $300 is a lot though when you're talking stereo pairs (ooof), and most of my OGs are paired. So I'm with you - hoping my OGs last a little longer and if/when they die, that I can pull in some new ones if they are on sale somewhere.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Whilst the OG HomePod is probably better, I don't think it's worth paying the out of warranty for an OG now. When my OGs kick the bucket I will replace them with the second gen HomePods.

Berlinerbrat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 18, 2018
yeah... hoping to pick up a few more minis, mothball my other remaining OG's for backups...keeping one primary pair active and monitor the new HomePod gen 2 for any issues or hopefully price reduction. That, and try Nics if any of my OG's fail... still cheaper than the 279 or 299 for new. Plus there's always rumors of next next generation homePod/soundbar/iPad hybrid.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.