Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

marstan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2013
I need some help deciding whether to get a HomePod or some other wireless speaker for my situation. I only play my own music (all lossless) through JRiver Media center from a windows HTPC connected to a full range hifi system. Except for the HTPC all my other gear is Apple. I also have no interest in controlling anything through Siri or any other voice assistant.

Now, I want to stream audio to the garage and to a small patio/backyard. I want the highest audio fidelity I can get which includes lossless playback and at least reproducing the upper bass convincingly. Recognizing that I will only control the music selection from an iPhone what would be the best wireless speaker in terms of sound quality and ease of use?

So far I have tried the HomePod mini but returned it because no bass at all. Tried the google Nest Audio and, while it sounded much better, one can only stream via bluetooth to it from the JRiver remote app on an iPhone; that was returned because no lossless playback possible. Next up would be the larger HomePod 2 or perhaps a Sonos or maybe some other Airplay 2 speaker. (Yes, I am willing to pay more). If Sonos, which one is comparable to the HomePod? I have read Sonos sounds great but software/setup/reliability questionable. Seems like the larger HomePod would be easier to use especially since I will not be using voice control or any streaming service.

Appreciate any advice.

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
We have all Apple devices and computers but for audio I use Bose. I have a Bose Smart Speaker 500 and a Portable Smart Speaker in the living/dining kitchen area. A SoundLink Mini II in the bedroom and 251® environmental speakers on my deck and around the house and pool. Sound is amazing on all speakers. I play all types of music from Black Sabbath to Linda Ronstadt to Mozart.

mmkerc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2014
I started using the Sonos system long before the HomePods came out. I did try using a combination of 2 HomePod minis and 1 HomePod but did not think the sound quality was as good as the Sonos. Initially my Sonos system did have some setup issues, but working with tech support resolved those fairly quickly (issue related to wifi speed & signal strength). I now use exclusively the Sonos system (11 Plays, 2 Play Ones, a Play 3, and a Move). I use both my personal song collection as well as Apple Music mainly but have also connect to local radio (so-so). Only complain is the Move is temperamental when switching between bluetooth, and wifi. I did have a subwoofer with my media setup as well but no longer have that setup. Sonos is expensive, but if you can wait they put the units on sale about once a year. My only complaint with Sonos is no headphones, or connection to headphones.

marstan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2013
mmkerc. So when you play something from your iPhone via Airplay with Sonos you simply select the Sonos Airplay speaker and no need to go through Sonos iOS app, right? For example, when I play something via the JRiver iOS remote app, I select "this device" (i.e., the iPhone) and the Airplay icon and then the Airplay destination device.

Any experience with the newer Sonos speakers like the era100/300?

I am auditioning the HomePod right now. It sounds impressive; much better than expected especially the bass. It appears to be an omni radiator with real-time room correction and very effective. Omnis can sound very different from front radiating patterns which I take it the Sonos' are? Which Sonos model do you think sounds better than the HomePod and in what respect? Also is the Sonos room correction any good?

Last edited:

mmkerc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2014
Several good questions, but let me start with an apology. It did not register to me that you have a separate media system. I do not use airplay. I linked my music library to the Sonos system. My potential sources are the music library with all my music, playlist, albums, etc, or Sonos Radio, Apple Music, TuneIn, and one other app. All are connected via my network. I am not familiar with JRiver but the Sonos App does allow connection to media centers.

I have not used or heard the Era speakers.

Note I got the HomePod, and the HP Mini when they (the mini) first came out. The issue I had was similar to what you have mentioned, the HomePod has good rich sound, but the minis were lacking. I tried to use them as a stereo pair and it just did not given the quality that Sonos does.

I only compared the PLAY to the HomePod and and thought the Sonos had a slightly fully sound. I will say the Play 3 is better than the Play, and Play 1's doing a much better job with the low end frequencies.

Regarding Trueplay it does make a difference, especially if you have a "dedicated room" for listening.

Lastly take everything I has said with a grain of salt as my hearing is not a sharp as it was when I was younger

marstan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2013
So you point Sonos through their iOS app to your music library and then play those files via the Sonos app? Does Sonos get artwork and tag all those files? You say you don't use Airplay but how does Sonos stream files to its wireless speakers? Some sort of Sonos proprietary wifi direct method?

A little confused about how Sonos works and maybe more involved than I want to get just to use their speakers.

mmkerc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2014
Sonos connects via your wifi, or in the case of the Move wifi or bluetooth. Sonos creates its own system. You initially plug the 1st Sonos unit you get to your wifi and setup the system. After this first setup you can disconnect, run totally off wifi (no units hardwired to network). Also once the 1st unit and system is setup when you plug in a new speaker you simply add to the system via the Sonos App. It is not hard to setup, especially after the 1st unit it is close to plug and play. You can connect via Airplay, but I have not experience with that setup. When I still had a hifi system I did have the Sonos connected to it, though I believe it was via a hardwire component connected to my frontend unit. With that setup I could play from the turntable, reel to reel, cassette deck, receiver, or cd player.

The Move is designed to allow you to take it to the beach or somewhere your wifi is not present and then it connects to your phone via bluetooth and accesses the music library on it.

Regarding artwork I do not download the artwork, however in checking the Sonos website (https://support.sonos.com/en-us/search?q=can+the+Sonos+app+download+album+artwork) it indicates it does.

Two other comments:
First, the only negative I would mention on the Sonos system is that with the exception of the Move in my system all speakers are required to be plugged into a wall outlet for power. Some of the newer speakers have batteries similar to the Move.

Second, although it has been a few years since I need to actually talk with someone, Sonos' tech support was excellent.

dsaponaro

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
You don’t have to use the Sonos for playing music If you don’t want to. You can use Airplay exclusively if you prefer.

I have a mix of Sonos and HomePods and they work very similar in regards to Airplay In that they appear right along side the HomePods when selecting speakers etc…. You can even play to both or any combination of HomePod/Sonos mix in sync as well. Works great. IMO the Sonos app is the weakest link in the whole system but The only time I use it is for setting etc…. I never use it to control playback.

Hope this helps.

Cancelled
Jul 5, 2022
I have a pair of IKEA Symfonisk speakers which are Sonos. I bought them specifically because I wanted something I could set up and use over AirPlay natively in iOS/macOS, which these do very well. You need to use the Sonos app once to set them up and then you can uninstall it and never look at it again.

mmkerc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2014
You don’t have to use the Sonos for playing music If you don’t want to. You can use Airplay exclusively if you prefer.

I have a mix of Sonos and HomePods and they work very similar in regards to Airplay In that they appear right along side the HomePods when selecting speakers etc…. You can even play to both or any combination of HomePod/Sonos mix in sync as well. Works great. IMO the Sonos app is the weakest link in the whole system but The only time I use it is for setting etc…. I never use it to control playback.

Hope this helps.
I will have to look at Airplay again. As I mentioned in my original post when I had initially setup after a house move I had tried to use airplay, and HomeKit, as well as the Sonos app. Had problems staying connected, which turned out to be an issue of wifi speed, and signal strength but in sorting I moved to just the Sonos app and have not had a problem since.

Last edited:

marstan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2013
Ok. A relief to not have to use the Sonos app. Now, back to the speakers. How do they sound?

dsaponaro

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
I have a home full of multiple large and small HomePods and really enjoy them. Think the large ones sound great. Especially in pairs. Small ones get the job done for rooms that aren’t critical listening such as a bathroom or laundry room etc…

This being said I just purchased a Sonos Arc and Sub and they sound amazing for music and movie audio especially with atoms content. Had my HomePods connected to Apple TV previously but the Sonos combo is head and shoulders over them. I no longer need subtitle on when watching movies and I am hearing things in music that I’ve listened to for 35 years that I’ve never heard before. Also, for reference, the arc Isn’t even the most ideal setup for music as a pair of 5’s with a sub is the top there. Of course the Arc/Sub comb is significantly more money than a pair of HomePods though.

Honestly, I think it’s a case of you get what you pay for. Both are excellent speaker systems And neither would be a bad option. They scale pretty much with how much money you throw at them. Just depends how much you’d want/can spend and how important sound quality is to you as a listener.

Hope this helps.

marstan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2013
I have a home full of multiple large and small HomePods and really enjoy them. Think the large ones sound great. Especially in pairs. Small ones get the job done for rooms that aren’t critical listening such as a bathroom or laundry room etc…

This being said I just purchased a Sonos Arc and Sub and they sound amazing for music and movie audio especially with atoms content. Had my HomePods connected to Apple TV previously but the Sonos combo is head and shoulders over them. I no longer need subtitle on when watching movies and I am hearing things in music that I’ve listened to for 35 years that I’ve never heard before. Also, for reference, the arc Isn’t even the most ideal setup for music as a pair of 5’s with a sub is the top there. Of course the Arc/Sub comb is significantly more money than a pair of HomePods though.

Honestly, I think it’s a case of you get what you pay for. Both are excellent speaker systems And neither would be a bad option. They scale pretty much with how much money you throw at them. Just depends how much you’d want/can spend and how important sound quality is to you as a listener.

Hope this helps.
Yes, it does help.

I remember several times I have been into museum shops playing Sonos speakers. I don't know which ones were playing but they sounded extremely good.

After a few hours auditioning the larger HomePod I think is about the same as (maybe slightly better than) the $100 Google Nest Audio. I will have to try the Sonos I think.

I am not looking for a full range main system as I already have that (full range mains surrounded by 4 subs in stereo configuration). What I want is a pair of monitors not too far from full range (that is without the deep bass) and accurate for the workshop and portable to take one to the back patio for outside listening. AC power is fine with me but sound quality is extremely important and I will pay for that.

But I want reliability so is Sonos reliable? I see a lot of comments on Best Buy and NYT Wirecutter about setup hassles with wifi.

dsaponaro

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2002
Forgot to mention I have a Sonos Move as well. Works just like any other sonos/Airplay speaker but can also be used off network (At the Beach for example) as a Bluetooth speaker. Also water resistant (left on Patio). It is excellent and sounds like it might be up your alley. Especially in terms of portability From area to area? A bit pricey but worth it in my opinion For the feature set. Then again I did get mine with a recent sale for $100 off So that helped As well. Still worth it for full price to.

marstan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2013
Forgot to mention I have a Sonos Move as well. It is excellent and sounds like it might be up your alley. Especially in terms of portability From area to area? A bit pricey but worth it in my opinion For the feature set. Then again I did get mine with a recent sale for $100 off So that helped As well. Still worth it for full price to.

marstan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2013
dsaponaro and everyone. Appreciate the advice. I think I am going to defer buying any smart speaker for now (returned the HomePod). Not really happy with the audio quality or value for money with any of them. There are many bookshelf speakers that are orders of magnitude better sounding for the money. I can live without the automation and work around the portability for now.

Reactions: FriendlyMackle

marstan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 13, 2013
A little postscript. Just after writing these things off I tested a Sonos era 100. It has changed my mind.

It sounds clearly better than any I have tested. It sounds like real music played on a high quality hifi system. After a short while I forget I was listening to a single smart speaker.

Set up a little less than smooth compared to Apple and others but they appear to be minor.

Most of the reviews I had read about the Sonos era 100 didn’t truly capture it’s sound quality especially compared to the Apple HomePod. To me it is clearly superior to the HomePod.

Anyway, well done, Sonos. I will be keeping it assuming it proves reliable.

Reactions: pup

mmkerc

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2014
Glad you found one you like, I don't think you will regret going with Sonos. As others have mentioned Sonos occasionally goes on sale so get on their mail list as it will save you some $$.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.