Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Psosmith82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
Is it ok to put the HomePod in the bathroom, or will the steam from the shower eventually damage it? The tech specs say
  • Relative humidity: 5% to 90% noncondensing
Not sure exactly what that means, but sounds like it should be ok to use in bathroom?

PieTunes

Contributor
May 6, 2016
San Diego, CA
As long as your bathroom doesn't get steamy, I would assume it'd be fine. Keep it as far enough away from water sources like the sink and faucet, shower/tub, etc. to minimize the chances of it getting splashed.

Psosmith82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
As long as your bathroom doesn't get steamy, I would assume it'd be fine. Keep it as far enough away from water sources like the sink and faucet, shower/tub, etc. to minimize the chances of it getting splashed.

All bathrooms will get steamy if you take a warm shower. You can minimize it keeping the door open and fan on, but will still get a little steamy. But yes, it is far enough away that it will not get splashed or wet.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
In the UK you run into a problem as they don't allow electrical sockets in bathrooms. For the rest of the world I think that a well vented bathroom should'nt be a problem at all, as we all know that Apple plays it safe in regards to recommendations.

Reactions: gw0gvq

Psosmith82

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2011
If there is condensation on the mirror when you get out of the shower, then that would be condensing steam.

almost always have condensation on my mirrors when i get out of the shower. Does that mean i shouldn't place my HomePod in the bathroom?

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
almost always have condensation on my mirrors when i get out of the shower. Does that mean i shouldn't place my HomePod in the bathroom?

Not on an every day basis I wouldn't. Maybe leave the door cracked or make sure the exhaust fan is on so that the steam won't condense.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
Just put a plastic bag over it. 1 gallon ziploc. When I shave or brush my teeth stuff flies everywhere, so its not just about steam. :p

Attachments

• IMG_0059.JPG
    IMG_0059.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,487

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
This isn’t just something I would be willing to risk having the HomePod in the bathroom. Obviously aside the risk of water exposure, you just would have to be cautious from steam penetrating the HomePod and/or internal components. I can think of much better uses for my HomePod than being in the bathroom.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
This isn’t just something I would be willing to risk having the HomePod in the bathroom. Obviously aside the risk of water exposure, you just would have to be cautious from steam penetrating the HomePod and/or internal components. I can think of much better uses for my HomePod than being in the bathroom.

Conversely, that's the one room where I'd like a HomePod. Unfortunately there's no battery so I'll wait and see what a v2.0 release or 'HomePod mini' has in store.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Conversely, that's the one room where I'd like a HomePod. Unfortunately there's no battery so I'll wait and see what a v2.0 release or 'HomePod mini' has in store.

Some bathrooms have a separation where steam or water wouldn’t be an issue depending on how your bathroom is set up. Then I don’t see it being a problem. But I’m certainly not going to put my HomePod next to the bathroom sink and put a bag over it as another member did.

However, I do agree that a HomePod mini is something certainly that Apple will likely expand upon at a cheaper price point and will be able to be used in multiple rooms in the house, where the larger HomePod will act as a central hub elsewhere.

hinesmj

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2015
New York
old post, but did you end up putting it in the bathroom? I'm curious how you made out as we're planning on doing this.

gw0gvq

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
Barry, South Wales, UK
In the UK you run into a problem as they don't allow electrical sockets in bathrooms. For the rest of the world, I think that a well-vented bathroom shouldn't be a problem at all, as we all know that Apple plays it safe in regards to recommendations.
I'm in the UK and I could never, for the reason you gave understand why a Homepod would have Bathroom listed but as you say it seems it's allowed in most countries. But I was always told electricity and water don't mix. But I can't see why I'd want to spend all that money on a homepod to put in the Bathroom touse occasionally.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
But I can't see why I'd want to spend all that money on a homepod to put in the Bathroom to use occasionally.

The very first HomePod I bought was specifically so I could listen to news and music, get sports scores, get the weather forecast, and get commuting advice hands-free in the master bathroom as I shaved, brushed my teeth, showered, etc each morning before going to work.

It’s been 20 months and about 1,200 steamy showers and HomePod is doing just fine. Bathroom is 12’x 18’ and HomePod is about 15’ from the shower.

My wife and I love it. A completely entertaining and informative gamechanger each morning. IMO the bathroom is the best place for the HomePod, it’s where we use it the most, actually.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
There are a lot of success stories of HomePod usage in a bathroom.

I think if you have a good sized bathroom and an adequate ventilation fan that there is little concern.

However, to be on the safe side you might want to get AppleCare+ for a few bucks.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
Hey, Siri, what's that smell?

#bwahaha

True story, I was in said bathroom with my youngest son and it was time for his shower. He doesn’t like the shower, views it as inconvenient and a lot of work.

As a distraction tactic, I say “Hey Siri, play songs about giraffe poop” thinking my son will laugh, Siri will say she can’t find anything, and that’s that.

You won’t believe what came on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.