Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rboerdijk

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2010
Hello,

I have a homepod-mini and a mac-mini. I have a collection of music I purchased on iTunes over the years (either as Albums or as individual Tracks) and would like to create a playlist and play it on the homepod. For testing I created a playlist "Mix" containing a few songs.
I would like to ask Siri to play this playlist.

Attempts:
"Hey Siri, play playlist mix everywhere" -> I can't find mix on Apple music.
"Hey Siri, play playlist mix from itunes" -> I can't find mix on Apple music.
"Hey Siri, play playlist" -> which playlist do you want to play? "Mix" -> I can't find mix on Apple music.

I do not want to use iTunes match (since I'm not using Music ripped from my music CD's)
I do not want an Apple Music subscription (I already purchased my songs, and I don't want a subscription)
I do want to play a playlist of the music I purchased on iTunes

This does not give the usual "it just works" apple experience, but rather a feeling that all the device is designed to do is say "Apple music" as often as possible. Is the device nerfed to not support playing playlists, in order to push me into an Apple Music subscription? I'm fine purchasing my music, but subscriptions are simply not going to happen.

Thanks in advance!

kkclstuff

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2015
NYC
Im a week into using a HomePod mini and EVERTHING about it has been disappointing.
  • sound quality - boomy
  • Siri constantly can't 'see' or activate HomeKit devices
  • siri won't play my iTunes playlists from my Mac
  • HomeKit Hub Automations don't trigger
This is NOT Apple's "it just works" or "we think you're really gonna like it!"

don't get me wrong, I WANT THIS to work, but how is it that there are some ppl in the ecosphere that have no issues and others where Siri/Homekit/Homepod are just endlessly problematic?!? Is it QC? or is it some ppl have older devices mixed in with newer ones? Should these 'faulty devices' be exchanged? (this may be my next move- just to make sure this HPM is not a dud.)

Ive done all of the experienced things to problem solve this including; signing out of EVERYthing on AppleID, restarting everything, and even resetting everything.

"It just doesn't work" Someone from Apple PLEASE help us!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.