Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Norwegian_Imposter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2017
As I am buying it in the uk but using it in Norway. Anyone know what the connector to the plug looks like? so I can buy the EU plug

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
As I am buying it in the uk but using it in Norway. Anyone know what the connector to the plug looks like? so I can buy the EU plug
I would assume, its a standard power connector, such as what Apple uses on all of its products, so you should be able to use an existing one (if you have it lying around) or buy one

Norwegian_Imposter

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2017
I would assume, its a standard power connector, such as what Apple uses on all of its products, so you should be able to use an existing one (if you have it lying around) or buy one
Yeah I was just wondering if it’s lighting usb type c etc

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Yeah I was just wondering if it’s lighting usb type c etc
I was thinking more along the lines of Apple's full power connectors like what we see on the back of the iMac.

2018-02-06_8-18-49.jpg

But a a quick google seems to show a proprietary connection that is neither USB or what apple used before
2018-02-06_8-16-39.jpg

Pupi

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2015
Wait for the German/French launch if you don't want to have an ugly adapter permanently on your plug.

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
Yes, it seems the power cord is permanently fixed into th unit.

I’m sure there was a report on here a few weeks ago implying the cord was separate and removable... I guess it was wrong.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
it shows the cable has a braided cloth housing. Very nice.
Yes, one review I saw mentioned it was the same material on the HomePod and felt that was a nice touch by apple and shows apple's incredible attention to detail.

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
Unboxing videos have started appearing on YouTube and a number of them have noted that the power cable is fixed (see iJustine's video).

Too late to cancel my order now, unfortunately. But it'll be going back based on this. Unless I can somehow get the other end at the plug off to thread the wire through the wall...

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Too late to cancel my order now, unfortunately. But it'll be going back based on this. Unless I can somehow get the other end at the plug off to thread the wire through the wall...
It's probably going to be moulded onto the lead. You can chop the plug off and use a standard plug but that could render the warranty invalid.

iChrila

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2012
9to5mac has an article about this that says the power cord is removable. the article is from 26. January though

It turns out this is not actually the case, the cable is removable and user-replaceable. The HomePod cord is color-matched black or white depending on what model you order.

The Apple Store doesn’t list any HomePod accessories quite yet. The rep said that customers will be able to buy additional power cables for HomePod through Apple Support once the device delivers, from February 9.

AdamA9

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2010
It's probably going to be moulded onto the lead. You can chop the plug off and use a standard plug but that could render the warranty invalid.

Such a shame. Who in their right mind wants an ugly lead traipsing down the front of a counter/shelf to the plug socket!?

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas

Just curious, what is it you want to do?

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
From the article:
"Update: The HomePod cable is fixed in and not removable. The Apple Store was sadly mistaken when we asked them. Original story preserved below."
The user guide also confirms it's not user replaceable.

• Do not attempt to repair or service HomePod yourself. Refer all servicing to qualified service personnel. Servicing is required when HomePod has been damaged in any way, such as when the power lead or plug is damaged, liquid has been spilled or objects have fallen into HomePod, or when HomePod has been exposed to rain or moisture, does not operate normally or has been dropped.

Reactions: JCoe13

lf90429

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2018
Hi everyone

I‘m considering buying a HomePod now, even though I live in Europe (non UK). The only thing that keeps me off is that there is barely any infomation about the cable of the HomePod being detachable or not. If it is (as this Article of Forbes is stating https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidp...acular-but-is-that-enough-price-release-date/), I could maybe plug in another cable, that fits in my socket directly without a bulky adapter.
I tried hard to find any information about the plug that goes into the HomePod. Anyone that already got one could have a look if it is maybe a „figure 8“ like in the Apple TV?

Thanks in advance for any information about that!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
How comes the forbes journalist successfully managed to detach and re-attach it?
Of the reviews and unboxing videos I've seen, they stated its non-removable. I just finished watching macbreak weekly yesterday and Renee Richie also stated its non-removable. It comes attached in the box, which imo, provides more evidence its non-removable.
2018-02-09_07-27-31.png

[doublepost=1518179426][/doublepost]Let me just add, I don't own one, and I could be wrong, but I am basing my opinion on this from what I've seen on the inter web.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.