Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ssledoux

macrumors 601
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
My main question is whether one could have the same issues with HomePod that they have with Alexa where it is always listening to and recording conversations in your home. If that’s not an issue, why isn’t it? What measures are in place to keep that from happening?

Secondly, how does it operate? Does it always need to be connected to WiFi, or does it work over bluetooth? I don’t have great WiFi, so I’d be concerned it would lose connection, have to be reset, stuff like that. Maybe that’s not an issue at all because that isn’t how it operates, but I have no clue, so I thought I’d ask.

Also, is it possible to have it function as something like TV speakers/surround sound, and what would that entail? Would I need Apple TV for that?

Electronics are just completely over my head, so this is all new to me. I just know I’d love to have a great speaker that would work seamlessly with my Apple devices.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
Each HomePod has a setting you can disable called "Listen for Hey Siri" - With it turned off, it doesn't listen. Everyone's different but I'm personally more comfortable with audio stored by Apple than Amazon. You can also delete Siri History any time you want. This is worth a read when it comes to Siri and privacy: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210713

HomePods need WiFi to function. They're happiest on 5GHz in my opinion. Basic functions work fine with "iffy" WiFi but if you plan to stream any kind of audio, a decent signal is necessary. As for TV audio streaming, an Apple TV will do the job in most cases. My understanding is some newer TVs may also support AirPlay 2 to HomePods but I have no experience there. Hope this helps.

Reactions: ssledoux

pup

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
My experience was that the HomePod had fairly poor networking, and others have said that it doesn't do well with a weak wifi signal.

HomePods don't do surround sound and while I think you can make them work with a TV they're not ideal.

If you want a general around the house speaker that works with both bluetooth and wifi, I'd recommend a Sonos Move. It has great networking and better sound quality than a HomePod. More expensive though.

If you're looking for surround sound, I'd go with Sonos as well, with the quality of the system really dependent on your budget. You could start with a Sonos Beam, which could serve as both a sound bar for the TV and as a speaker that you could airplay music too. Then later if you want, you could add two Sonos Ones to get surround sound. Then later a subwoofer, etc. Or you could go all in with their new Arc. One of the things I like about Sonos stuff is that they're very versatile components that can grow with your needs. I've ended up with Sonos stuff after having a HomePod for a year, and I've been very pleased. The experience of setting them up and using them is very Apple-like and they'll all work perfectly with your Apple gear.

Reactions: ssledoux

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010
My main question is whether one could have the same issues with HomePod that they have with Alexa where it is always listening to and recording conversations in your home. If that’s not an issue, why isn’t it? What measures are in place to keep that from happening?

Secondly, how does it operate? Does it always need to be connected to WiFi, or does it work over bluetooth? I don’t have great WiFi, so I’d be concerned it would lose connection, have to be reset, stuff like that. Maybe that’s not an issue at all because that isn’t how it operates, but I have no clue, so I thought I’d ask.

Also, is it possible to have it function as something like TV speakers/surround sound, and what would that entail? Would I need Apple TV for that?

Electronics are just completely over my head, so this is all new to me. I just know I’d love to have a great speaker that would work seamlessly with my Apple devices.

Unlike Google and Amazon, Apple is not in the information business and they’ve made it clear that our privacy is their priority. They want us to be happy hardware buyers, and so they focus on the hardware, not the data.

HomePod is awesome. Buy without concern.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.