Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robgreene

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
I've submitted a Feature Request to Apple, asking them to add a HomePod restart progress bar inside the home app. Current behavior, when you press restart, is that nothing happens visually to indicate your tap of the restart button even worked. Adding a progress bar would be visually consistent with all other Apple Devices, and provide valuable feedback on how the restart is going.

If you agree, would it be too much trouble to ask you to request this as well using the link below?

Reactions: TonyC28

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Don’t see the point it’s that quick. And there is no progress indicator on the Apple Watch and that takes substantially longer to restart.

But good luck with your endeavour anyway

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
There’s no progress bar but there are two visual indicators that I know of. The HomePod display will show a spinning white graphic and HomePod status in the Home app actually says “Restarting.”

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
I think this would be a worthwhile addition. It’s not very intuitive that you press a button and seemingly nothing happens.

Reactions: robgreene

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
I think this would be a worthwhile addition. It’s not very intuitive that you press a button and seemingly nothing happens.

But something does happen. You get “restarting” message in the Home app and the white rotating lights on top of the HomePod.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
But something does happen. You get “restarting” message in the Home app and the white rotating lights on top of the HomePod.
Which is not very intuitive. Also, I just tested that and the Home app gave me no indication of the HomePod actually restarting other than the timers aren’t available.

Reactions: robgreene

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Which is not very intuitive. Also, I just tested that and the Home app gave me no indication of the HomePod actually restarting other than the timers aren’t available.

So you don’t get the word “restarting” in the little tile for the HomePod in the Home app? Works pretty reliably for me. Further bugginess to add to the Home app 🫤

robgreene

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
Don’t see the point it’s that quick. And there is no progress indicator on the Apple Watch and that takes substantially longer to restart.

But good luck with your endeavour anyway
In my experience, an original HomePod take about 40-60 seconds from the time the reset button is pressed til the time it reconnects with my Apple TV.

robgreene

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
There’s no progress bar but there are two visual indicators that I know of. The HomePod display will show a spinning white graphic and HomePod status in the Home app actually says “Restarting.”
My Homepods are not positioned where I can see the display from my seat.

robgreene

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
So you don’t get the word “restarting” in the little tile for the HomePod in the Home app? Works pretty reliably for me. Further bugginess to add to the Home app 🫤
The word "restarting" is... 1 step better than nothing, I'll give you that. But given how often these original homepods are needing to be reset of late (the newer models and minis I own do just fine), a progress bar consistent with all other apple devices would be beneficial.

robgreene

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 12, 2008
Thanks. Just seems rather "un-Apple" of them. That could be said for much of the Home app UI though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.