Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
So one of my HomePods today out of nowhere decided to ignore me. Using the “Hey Siri” command, the light on top goes on momentarily then shuts off and never takes my request so I know it’s listening but not answering. Same exact thing for when I use tap to hold. Tried resetting the HomePod twice. Funny thing is, it works fine for my wife.
Anyway seen this before and has a fix?

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
Mine did this a couple days ago.
I think I gave it a timeout for an hour or 2. but that was only so it didn't go flying out the window.

You can try rebooting your router/wifi.
HomePod seems really picky on wifi, and when it gets unhappy it seems to only fail certain tasks while others work fine. But the hoempod reset maybe should have fixed this?

just had a thought, You could also try triggering siri on all of your other devices (or rebooting them), it's possible one of them is stuck in the "I'm answering" mode. They have some sort of protocol so that only one device answers.
Maybe hompeod hears you, but your phone is saying "I got it" so HomePod goes back to sleep. I don't know if this is voice specific (might explain why your wife can use it) Triggering siri on the other devices might clear this.

For me, if I had to guess, I'd say it was my watch, siri has triggered on there a couple times that I didn't expect in recent software versions.

Reactions: Itinj24 and dotme

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Mine did this a couple days ago.
I think I gave it a timeout for an hour or 2. but that was only so it didn't go flying out the window.

You can try rebooting your router/wifi.
HomePod seems really picky on wifi, and when it gets unhappy it seems to only fail certain tasks while others work fine. But the hoempod reset maybe should have fixed this?

just had a thought, You could also try triggering siri on all of your other devices (or rebooting them), it's possible one of them is stuck in the "I'm answering" mode. They have some sort of protocol so that only one device answers.
Maybe hompeod hears you, but your phone is saying "I got it" so HomePod goes back to sleep. I don't know if this is voice specific (might explain why your wife can use it) Triggering siri on the other devices might clear this.

For me, if I had to guess, I'd say it was my watch, siri has triggered on there a couple times that I didn't expect in recent software versions.
Thanks for the reply. When you say timeout, do you mean you left it unplugged for a couple hours? It is behaving exactly like another device is picking up Siri but I’m not getting a Siri response from any other device. It works fine on my other HomePods but I’ll try invoking Siri on everything else and see if it clears up. Really annoying. If that doesn’t work, my next option is to factory reset it, then the network reboot. Not sure it’s the WiFi since it works fine with my wife but I’ll give it a shot. Thanks again.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Factory reset time. Oddly enough, it’s exhibiting the same behavior when I use tap and hold for Siri.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
And now after unplugging it and replugging, apparently it’s downloading 14.2 lol.

Craig1874

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2017
I’ve the same issue with mine, thought it was a bug with 14.1 but have upgraded it to 14.2 but still has the same issue.

• Sad
Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I’ve the same issue with mine, thought it was a bug with 14.1 but have upgraded it to 14.2 but still has the same issue.
I’m gonna try a factory reset. Please do post if you find a fix. This just happened yesterday out of nowhere. I was excited to see 14.2 pushed today but unfortunately that didn’t do it for me either.

Itinj24

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Went to give it one more go before the factory reset and just like that Siri loves me again.

Worthy of note. I updated every single one of my Apple devices in my house today (iPhone, Watch, iPad Pro, MacBook Pro, multiple ATVs and HomePods) and when I do, I always reboot every device before and after updating. Maybe as waw74 said, one of the devices was stuck and rebooting cleared it up along the way. Didn’t work before updating/rebooting my devices but works now immediately after. Give the reboots a shot I suppose...

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
yes, unplugged, I got fed up, and just left it unplugged for a while. who knows if that fixed it.

MacConvert07

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2008
Upstate NY
Same thing happened to me yesterday. All of a sudden 4 out of 5 of my homepods stopped listening to hey Siri. When I rebooted them, I got an error “something went wrong” “try again later” etc. I had to reset them and set them back up. Then they worked properly without an issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.