Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weeesss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2017
For the past few weeks, using Siri on my original HomePod is not working most of the time. I say "Hey Siri" and I see the light that it heard my request, but then nothing. I ask it to set a timer and just doesn't. I ask it to pause music and same thing. It does not fulfill my request and just continues playing music. I have reset it twice and even removed it and set it up from scratch, it will work as normal for a few days, but then goes back to the same bad behaviors. I am running 17.1.1.

Any ideas what it could be? It seems to be a software issue because when it works, all is good.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
17.1.1 was supposed to fix this. It’s the main key point in the change log. Oh Apple, what a mess you’ve created with these things.

FWIW, I’m having a slew of issues too. The HomePods think I am my prepubescent eight year old son now, timed requests yield a response that I don’t have voice recognition turned on (when it is), same issue as yours, Apple Music can’t be reached, etc…

It’s crappy software by a useless software team. These things have been around for five friggen years and it’s kicking their a$$. They should be getting better over time but it’s the exact opposite. Yes I’m a bit disgusted after spending a few thousand on a bunch of these.

And don’t get me started on when a HomePod takes over as the active home hub.

Reactions: StumpyBloke

weeesss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2017
Apple Music works for me as I stream music all day for the dogs after we leave the house. It just seems to be it not processing voice requests. I hope they fix it because I really like my HomePod.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Apple Music works for me as I stream music all day for the dogs after we leave the house. It just seems to be it not processing voice requests. I hope they fix it because I really like my HomePod.
From the Apple Support page…

They literally had one job with this software update 🤦‍♂️

1700177565583.png

muasachi

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2013
I always had the same issue.
What I found out is that when I say "Hey, Siri". Both Homepod and iPhone are awake to take command, then both go to sleep stage, perhaps because both devices think the other is taking commands.

So, I only enable "Siri" and "Hey, Siri" only on my Homepod.
And for my iPhone only for "Hey, Siri"

Now when I want to control from Homepod, I'd just say only "Siri", and the freaking problem is now gone.
But there's also downside, sometimes my Homepod wouldn't pick up my "Siri" even though I was saying it quite loud.

Reactions: b17777

weeesss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2017
I always had the same issue.
What I found out is that when I say "Hey, Siri". Both Homepod and iPhone are awake to take command, then both go to sleep stage, perhaps because both devices think the other is taking commands.

So, I only enable "Siri" and "Hey, Siri" only on my Homepod.
And for my iPhone only for "Hey, Siri"

Now when I want to control from Homepod, I'd just say only "Siri", and the freaking problem is now gone.
But there's also downside, sometimes my Homepod wouldn't pick up my "Siri" even though I was saying it quite loud.
I was not aware of this option but will try it out. I also turned off “hey Siri” on my MacBook but my iPhone and watch I need it left on.

muasachi

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2013
I was not aware of this option but will try it out. I also turned off “hey Siri” on my MacBook but my iPhone and watch I need it left on.

You still can turn on "Hey, Siri" on all of your devices.
But only enable "Siri" phrase for Homepods, so when you say "Siri..." only the Homepods will pick it up, and the problem is now gone.

When I'm away from my Homepods, I still use "Hey, Siri" with all of my other devices regularly.

weeesss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 24, 2017
You still can turn on "Hey, Siri" on all of your devices.
But only enable "Siri" phrase for Homepods, so when you say "Siri..." only the Homepods will pick it up, and the problem is now gone.

When I'm away from my Homepods, I still use "Hey, Siri" with all of my other devices regularly.
I did that yesterday and and it has been working without issue. Thanks!!

muasachi

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2013
I updated to 17.2 RC on both Homepods and iPhone.
The issues are now gone.
Now I can say "Hey Siri!" and my Homepods always pick it up.

FINALLY!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.