Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GDMcG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Suddenly this morning all of my OG and mini HomePods have suddenly stopped being able to respond to requests. I only get “On It…” “This is taking too long” etc. restarted network, and even tried removing and re-adding HomePod (which has always been the previous fix and still nothing. Anyone else having this issue?

Alfie

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2004
South Dakota
Yes, I have the same issues here, and I see others on the forums reporting it too. Requests made from the phone work great, just the HomePods have problems, as usual.

Reactions: GDMcG

GDMcG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
That’s what I was seeing as well. Siri worked fine on the iPhone this morning. After about 20 minutes the HomePods started working again.

GDMcG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Yeah it’s still happening this morning. Siri works from my iPhone but not from my watch or the HomePods. I can connect to the HomePods via the Home App fine and I have rebooted them (tried removing one yesterday and re-added to no avail) and I even tried changing my DNS on my routers. It seems to be a server side issue where Siri is not responding to certain devices. I seem to remember reading somewhere a while back that Siri routes requests to different servers based on CDN (content delivery network) routing. What’s even more strange is that yesterday later in the morning it started working again for the HomePods out of nowhere.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Seeing a similar issue here. When I ask Siri to turn the lights off (Lutron Caseta or Nanoleaf) it says “there was a problem”. If I ask a second time it almost always works. If I ask my phone, or just control directly from HomeKit in Control Center, it works fine.

I don’t have any HomePod minis, so I assumed it was an issue Apple introduced with the OG HomePods to force me to upgrade all three that I’m using. 🤔

GDMcG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Same is happening here “On It…” “This is taking too long”. Started Tuesday. On https://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/ nothing shows that anything is down.
Yeah the first thing I checked yesterday was the system status page and saw nothing. It’s weird because the iPhones work fine. It’s just the accessory devices (HomePod, HomePod mini and Apple Watches) that seem to be having issues with Siri and On It and Taking Too Long. Like others this seems to have started Tuesday.

edufmartins

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2014
Hi! After the last Firmware update all of a sudden my HomePod 1 (the original one) got too much bass and it’s sounding muddy. All it’s sound definition was gone. If I reduce the bass it is solved but it sends up without the great bass it used to show.

Is Anyone experiencing this?

GDMcG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Just wanted to follow up with another multi-day session of Siri giving me the ” on it “ or “ still working “ in the past week (first week of June 2023). Every morning around the same time 8 AM (EDT) Siri would stop working for an hour or so on multiple Apple accessory devices (watches, HomePods, Apple TV) but would work fine on iPhones. Rebooting the Cable Modem would sometimes fix it but the next morning the issue would return for a few hours and then resolve. I want to be clear that all other Internet activity worked fine, it was just Siri that was affected. Remembering that I recently changed my Eero router DNS to use CloudFlare’s public DNS for IPv4 and IPv6, I decided to switch it to Google’s public DNS and issues with Siri immediately resolved. Will keep an eye on it, but it certainly is a weird issue to have especially when it affects multiple user accessory devices but not the iPhones.

GDMcG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
This is still occurring every few days in the morning. Doesn’t affect iPhones. Just watches, HomePods etc. restarting the Arris Surfboard 8200 Cable Modem fixes Siri every time. Doesn’t make sense why this is only o affecting Siri and starts consistently every morning. My next move may be to try to buy a newer Cable Modem.

halfpintgaz

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2024
This is still occurring every few days in the morning. Doesn’t affect iPhones. Just watches, HomePods etc. restarting the Arris Surfboard 8200 Cable Modem fixes Siri every time. Doesn’t make sense why this is only o affecting Siri and starts consistently every morning. My next move may be to try to buy a newer Cable Modem.
Did you manage to fix? Im getting same problem on all of my HomePods and mac book but not phone

GDMcG

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 30, 2008
Did you manage to fix? Im getting same problem on all of my HomePods and mac book but not phone
Rebooting (completely removing power for 10 seconds) each of my Eero Mesh network nodes fixed it.

DominikHoffmann

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2007
Indiana
I have been on the phone with an AppleCare senior advisor several times, submitted logs and have done all sorts of troubleshooting steps on this. It looks like AppleCare advisors are not told that a problem is more widespread.

Has there been a correlation with the rollout of a specific software update?

halfpintgaz

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2024
I have been on the phone with an AppleCare senior advisor several times, submitted logs and have done all sorts of troubleshooting steps on this. It looks like AppleCare advisors are not told that a problem is more widespread.

Has there been a correlation with the rollout of a specific software update?
I think they don’t know haven’t seen any solutions anywhere till today. I reset all my deco router new network turned things on and off force restarted home pods etc nothing worked. Suspect it was something to do with update as all mine stopped working at same time.

So I saw earlier try changing the Siri language to English uk. Assuming this was people in US . Anyhow moved all my HomePods to American voice 1 and hey presto started working ! Also switched it to listen for hey siri only not Siri as well( not sure if that effected it )

This turned off personal request. Turned this back on and was fine. I’ve now put them all back to English uk and all working again .

DominikHoffmann

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2007
Indiana
So I saw earlier try changing the Siri language to English uk. Assuming this was people in US . Anyhow moved all my HomePods to American voice 1 and hey presto started working ! Also switched it to listen for hey siri only not Siri as well( not sure if that effected it )

This turned off personal request. Turned this back on and was fine. I’ve now put them all back to English uk and all working again .
When I try switching Siri behavior, I get this:

Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 10.25.24 AM.png

for quite some time. And I can’t make any changes here:

Screenshot 2024-04-02 at 10.28.45 AM.png

The UI simply won’t react to clicks on any voice selections.

halfpintgaz

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2024
Weird, sorry no use.

I was out of home when I changed language settings so not on same WiFi not sure if any difference ?

Just notice Apple TVs have updated today as well so maybe something to do with it no idea.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.