Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flipperlizard

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2021
I've noticed for months now that sometimes, HomePods seem to drop "sections" of a song. This can make a song sound empty or incomplete. Luckily I found a song that can reproduce the problem pretty consistently. If you have a HomePod (any kind), I'm very curious if you're able to reproduce this.

Steps to reproduce:

- First, familiarize yourself with the part of the song NOT on a HomePod. For example, iPhone or Mac speakers work great. The song is "Black Out Days" by Phantogram, and the specific moment of the song is 51 seconds in (0:51). The lyrics go: "A thousand voices howling in my head-ed-ed-ed-ed-ed." I recommend playing it loud to hear the sound of the voice and the different instruments that play when it repeats "ed-ed-ed-ed-ed," as it's that part that has the issue. So on the HomePod you will hear normally, "A thousand voices howling in my..." and then the problem begins.
- Alright, now play it on a HomePod. I can reproduce it by AirPlaying from my iPhone most consistently, but also asking Siri to play the song reproduces it. AirPlaying from my Mac DOES NOT reproduce it in my tests, so I'd stick to iPhone or voice.

The song will become very quiet and empty during this time. You may hear a very faint repeating of the "ed-ed-ed-ed," and other instruments will be omitted entirely. I'll post a video comparing the two shortly.

If you have time to check, is anyone able to reproduce?

My set up:

iOS 17.3
HomePod version 17.3

Tested and reproduced on:

- x2 HomePod (large, original)
- x2 HomePod mini

It's been a problem for several iOS/HomePodOS versions however.

It doesn't happen 100% of the time, but it happens most of the time. Also, sometimes it fixes itself but will begin happening again if I try again the next day.

Would really love to hear from folks here if you're able to reproduce this at all. For me this happens on many other songs, too, but it's most noticeable on this particular section of this song.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.