Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theviewer19855

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2017
Hey all,

So my wider plan is to create a shortcut that when I come home I get greeted automatically with some questions (or at least, after I say the trigger words eg "Im home")

But before I reach that stage, I need to get past hurdle one, which is creating a back n fourth shortcut with Homepod. In my research, it seems iOS 13 made this possible. So how would I go about making something like this

Me: Siri, Im Home
Homepod: Would you like music
Me: Yes
Homepod: Would you like party, acoustic or calm
Me: I want Acoustic
Homepod: *runs some if commands* - Playing acoustic - *Plays a preselected acoustic playlist*

Second question, if I make that as a shortcut then presumably my phone needs to be in the house for it to work - so I guess I would need to send my girlfriend the shortcut for her to save on her phone too in case she comes home without me

Cheers

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
I'm not 100% this can be done, but Apple's Shortcuts App is going to be your starting point.

for instance, I can say Hey Siri, I'm heading home - it sends an iMessage to my other half letting him know I'm on my way home and shares the estimated ETA based on traffic.

With your scenario I'm wondering why you can't just say, Siri, Play my acoustic playlist.

Good luck!

theviewer19855

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 28, 2017
I'm not 100% this can be done, but Apple's Shortcuts App is going to be your starting point.

for instance, I can say Hey Siri, I'm heading home - it sends an iMessage to my other half letting him know I'm on my way home and shares the estimated ETA based on traffic.

With your scenario I'm wondering why you can't just say, Siri, Play my acoustic playlist.

Good luck!

Thanks for responding. Well, the reason I'm not settling for a direct "play my acoustic playlist" is because of my greater plan, which I should be able to do once I learn how to accomplish this seemingly simple shortcut. Although maybe it's not so simple afterall.

For example, my end goal wouldn't stop at music, it would be more like

Me: I'm home
Homepod: Do you want music? Shall I boil the kettle? What lighting scene would you like?

Versus the current solution which tends to be

Hey siri play acoustic music... *wait for reply*
Hey siri boil the kettle *wait for answer*
Hey siri turn the lights on *wait for answer*
Hey siri make the lights 100% brightness

Anyway... You get my point :p

I can also put it to other uses, like it would be cool if while my girlfriend is having a panic attack she could say

Hey siri Calm me
Homepod: Would you like to listen to Ambient or Enya
Homepod: Would you like me to call Joe

There could be loads of uses once i nail the verbal back n fourth shortcuts :)

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
Got you! I'm not sure that's 100% possible yet, but worth a look with the Automation app.

The alternative is having a few different "I'm home" automations, that turn on music, set the lighting etc.

We have an automation for "We have guests" which puts a specific playlist on and changes the lighting round the house.

Keep us posted with what you find.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Go on YouTube and search for a HomeKit content creator named Shane Whatley. He’s a amazing with Shortcuts and automations and has a few videos explaining how to do exactly this kind of stuff.

Reactions: TonyC28
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.