Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

butterwm

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2012
Currently have a Sonos One under our covered patio so it’s protected from the elements. This patio opens up to our pool area. At about 75% volume on the Sonos I get good sound the covers the entire pool area. Considering switching to a 2nd generation HomePod. Is the volume loud enough that it will do the same the Sonos is currently doing?

pup

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
Yes, imo they’re comparable in terms of volume.

Last edited:

pup

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
FYI, Sonos has their Move on sale right now for the same price as a HomePod, and that seems like a better choice to me for the pool. Having owned all three, I can say without any hesitation that the Move will give you a bigger and sound than either the One or the Homepod. Plus waterproof, cordless, etc.

butterwm

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2012
My current home setup is multiple HomePod mini’s throughout the house. They work good for the house and to give me full home audio but the sound out of them isn’t good enough for an outdoor setting. We bought the Sonos One as an alternative. While the sound is loud enough and works I haven’t been impressed with the Sonos speaker itself. I feel like their app is very clunky and not user friendly. When I connect to via AirPlay it tends to cut off from time to time and I can’t take the phone very far away from the speaker. They had also promised Siri via a future software update that never happened.

My thoughts with the HomePod were integration into our current Apple Ecosystem—particularly the whole home HomePod and Apple Music system. Having Siri ability even though I recognize its shortcomings and don’t use it as much as we should. I know the speaker has to be plugged in all the time so that’s why I was hoping it would be loud enough. My other concern is even though it is kept under a covered patio there is still temperature swings, humidity, moisture after rains, ect. Not sure how the internals would hold up long term in those conditions.

On the Sonos Era 300 I am curious what improvements they have made being a new speaker. Am I still going to experience the AirPlay drops? I know people love and rave about Sonos so I feel weird that we had a bad experience. If I am playing Apple Music and selecting what rooms to play in does the Sonos show up and is selectable or is that just HomePods you can do that with?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.