Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samleemc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2012
Hi There,

I have a HomePod connected to my home wifi (Unifi Dream Machine), and my MacBook Pro 16" is also connected to the same router with Ethernet cable, all under the same network. (a separate VLAN for all IOT device, but they are not in this VLAN)

When my Mac is also connecting to the wifi, it works fine, once selected the HomePod in the "Audio output" setting, all sound from the computer just play through the HomePod.

However, when the same computer connect to the network via the Ethernet cable, it just doesn't play....

Tried :
1. Restart Mac/HomePod/Router...etc
2. Select in the Setting > Audio
3. Select in the Apple Music
All fail to work.

Any reason why? Is there something with my network setup? or bug?

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
I would download the free Discovery app from the Mac App store and check _airplay._tcp to see if your Homepod is still listed when the Mac on Ethernet. If it isn't, your router may be isolating some protocols from Ethernet to WiFi and you should be able to make adjustments to correct that. The Discovery tool is useful here because you may be able to see when you have resolved the issue.

samleemc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2012
the HomePod is definitely not blocked as I can still see it in the drop down of the audio list...but worth trying

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
here's a link to the discovery app mentioned

it's possible the entry drop down list Is just a "ghost" and the Mac is holding on to it from before even though it can't currently see it.

can you ping the home pod when connected to wired?
open terminal and type "ping 192.168.0.xx" you'll need to figure out the IP address of your HomePod (either though your router, or the discovery app)

malcky77

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2019
In your Unifi controller do you have the following:

Screenshot 2020-12-25 at 12.09.32.png

That is in the controller settings, wireless networks, click on edit....to see the above setting.
Not sure if that would fix your issue, but worth a try.

Reactions: waw74
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.