Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
HomePod was introduced last year at WWDC and this year’s event is quickly approaching. Will HomePod leap ahead like the first AppleWatch did with watchOS 2.0 less than a year after its release?

What new HomePod features realistically do you think will be announced at WWDC?

(This is a speculation thread, not a wish list)

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
There's the low hanging fruit like Stereo pairing and AirPlay 2 but also Calendar support which has been leaked in iOS beta.

Multi User support is important for every other feature that comes from here on out because it depends on identifying the correct user. And it isn't that difficult. Apple already does Voice ID in iOS and the beam forming microphones are far more sensitive on the HomePod. I expect the HomePod would do its best to guess on identifying who is speaking and if it's unsure, Siri could ask: "Is this John?"

Continuous Conversation. Rather than having to say Hey Siri for each prompt, Siri would listen for a few more seconds in case you have follow up questions.

I expect that HomePod will become the testbed for Siri going forward like AppleWatch has become for technologies that roll out to the iPhone, the most notable of which was 3D Touch and the OLED screen. With that in mind, I think we're going to see some serious advancements in Siri come to HomePod first.

Solver

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
USA
There's the low hanging fruit like Stereo pairing and AirPlay 2 but also Calendar support which has been leaked in iOS beta.

Multi User support is important for every other feature that comes from here on out because it depends on identifying the correct user. And it isn't that difficult. Apple already does Voice ID in iOS and the beam forming microphones are far more sensitive on the HomePod. I expect the HomePod would do its best to guess on identifying who is speaking and if it's unsure, Siri could ask: "Is this John?"

Continuous Conversation. Rather than having to say Hey Siri for each prompt, Siri would listen for a few more seconds in case you have follow up questions.

I expect that HomePod will become the testbed for Siri going forward like AppleWatch has become for technologies that roll out to the iPhone, the most notable of which was 3D Touch and the OLED screen. With that in mind, I think we're going to see some serious advancements in Siri come to HomePod first.

I can see it now:
Ted: “Siri sell all my bitcoin to this account.”
Siri: “Is this John?”
Ted: “Why yes it is.”

Reactions: LiveM

CamiMR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
- Multiple simultaneous “nameable” timers
- Siri voice volume control
- Some type of basic equaliser

Multi User Support linked to individual Apple IDs has huge potential!

Reactions: ipedro

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Apple just released this bad boy in 2018, I highly doubt we'll see any homepod hardware updates. They have other hardware older and more in need of an update, then an refreshing a product that hit the streets 3 months ago.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a price cut, or some updates to the homepod software being announced but no hardware

Reactions: Bswails

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Apple just released this bad boy in 2018, I highly doubt we'll see any homepod hardware updates. They have other hardware older and more in need of an update, then an refreshing a product that hit the streets 3 months ago.

I wouldn't be surprised to see a price cut, or some updates to the homepod software being announced but no hardware

This thread is about software of course. I don't think anybody expects a HomePod 2 any time soon.

Apple Watch got a 2.0 firmware update within months of the Watch being released. I'm sure there are many HomePod features that were in development that just couldn't make it to launch day so they were held back for the next OS update. It's been a year since the announcement so several of those features should be ready.

As an OS gets older, it gets polished over many iterations and eventually new features get scarce but a brand new product like HomePod can come out with dozens of new features easily.

Last edited:

kschles

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
I bought a HomePod for the sound, not Siri. The sound is really good. I have two Sonos Play 5’s in my living room. The sound is spectacular. However, my living room is not that big, and the Sonos speakers are (relatively) large. Looking forward to release of Airplay 2 and the ability to pair. The much smaller HomePods would give me better placement options, and I think the sound would be great.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I think that the big leap for HomePod will come with the Siri API. It’s year 3 of SiriKit and more and more third party capabilities are being added. This year will be no exception and might be the year that Apple opens the floodgates. Going forward, Siri will be developed with HomePod in mind so those new app types should arrive on HomePod as well.

Of the low hanging fruit on SiriKit ported to HomePod, I can see it supporting third party apps like list/to do apps, restaurant reservations, messaging and workouts.

Hey Siri, start a yoga session” — Starting a yoga session with Yogaia
Hey Siri, book a reservation for 2 at Patria tonight at 8” — Booking a reservation with Open Table

- Multiple simultaneous “nameable” timers

Multiple Named Timers would be good. In fact, I suspect that cooking/recipe apps will be one of the new SiriKit app types. It’d be a great fit for HomePod.

Hey Siri, read me the recipe for Lentil Soup in Jamie Oliver’s Ultimate Meals

Integration with other Apple devices is another obvious easy win.

Not only “Hey Siri, play Star Trek Discovery on the living room TV” but displaying album art on the TV for Now Playing on HomePod or augmenting HomePod apps that benefit from a visual aid such as those recipe or workout apps.

HomePod is brand new and was launched with the bare essentials — a platform to build on. I think that us HomePod owners are in for a treat at WWDC and for upcoming years as Apple fills out the feature set.

- Siri voice volume control

You can ask Siri to “Lower/raise your voice”. ;)

pd_forta

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2016
I think that the big leap for HomePod will come with the Siri API. It’s year 3 of SiriKit and more and more third party capabilities are being added. This year will be no exception and might be the year that Apple opens the floodgates. Going forward, Siri will be developed with HomePod in mind so those new app types should arrive on HomePod as well.

Of the low hanging fruit on SiriKit ported to HomePod, I can see it supporting third party apps like list/to do apps, restaurant reservations, messaging and workouts.

Hey Siri, start a yoga session” — Starting a yoga session with Yogaia
Hey Siri, book a reservation for 2 at Patria tonight at 8” — Booking a reservation with Open Table

Multiple Named Timers would be good. In fact, I suspect that cooking/recipe apps will be one of the new SiriKit app types. It’d be a great fit for HomePod.

Hey Siri, read me the recipe for Lentil Soup in Jamie Oliver’s Ultimate Meals

Integration with other Apple devices is another obvious easy win.

Not only “Hey Siri, play Star Trek Discovery on the living room TV” but displaying album art on the TV for Now Playing on HomePod or augmenting HomePod apps that benefit from a visual aid such as those recipe or workout apps.

HomePod is brand new and was launched with the bare essentials — a platform to build on. I think that us HomePod owners are in for a treat at WWDC and for upcoming years as Apple fills out the feature set.

You can ask Siri to “Lower/raise your voice”. ;)

These are all great ideas. I would like to see a more seamless integration with the Apple TV, like asking it to turn on the TV to play a specific episode of a TV show, or a movie etc. BTW you can already display album art on the TV for now playing on the HomePod. Just long press the play button on your remote and swipe to the right to choose your HomePod. It saves me time from asking Siri what’s currently playing.

Reactions: ipedro

actcyclist

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2017
Aside from Siri improvements I'm hoping for

-Being able to set the Homepod to do things using scenes in the home app. Eg. Music on when I come home, turn off when I leave, go to bed.
-Volume setting by time, similar to DND on the iPhone, have it reduce volume at specified time automatically.
-Option to only play music in my library.

Reactions: rhyme and ipedro

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
My wishlist for HomePod:

1. Ability to set a sleep timer for music playback. "Hey Siri, stop playing music after 1 hour." So convenient when you just wanna sleep with ambience music and not have to worry it'll disturb my sleep.
2. Ability to pick a favorite version of certain tracks. Acoustic, remix, or radio edit. Not just picking up the top listed ones.
3. Continuous listening (no need to say Hey Siri for certain amount of time after last command), and picking up several commands in one speech. "Hey Siri, play X song and turn on balcony light purple, and set sleep timer for 30 minutes".
4. Voice recognition.
5. Initiating a phone call, via my iPhone on the same network of course.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I've been wrong before (actually more often then not), but I just don't see apple rolling out an update or another model so close to the homepod 1 (if you want to call it that), release.

I have to agree and think an additional smaller model would be a mistake but if not Apple will be dropping the price on the original to increase market share. What Apple needs to do is get Siri up to speed as it seems she is getting farther behind the competition.

Endorphine88

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2018
Philadelphia, PA
I don't think the HomePod will be the focus at all at WWDC. I would be really surprised if it is. If there are improvements, then they will just be Siri-related and will inevitably trickle down to the HomePod. Airplay2 is long overdue and just needs to fix the reliability of that function - it's still frustrating to try and use Airplay from Apple TV to HomePod - audio will cut out intermittently and that is not a cute experience.

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
HomePod integration in HomeKit...

I want to use it in scenes: when everybody leaves the house: stop playing. etc. Or when I set my "good night" scene to turn of all the lights and stuff: that it plays some chill-playlist for 30 minutes at a set volume in the bedroom for me to fall asleep peacefully.

HomeKit-scenes = pure awesomeness.

Reactions: Bdub12

Bdub12

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Fredericton NB Canada
HomePod integration in HomeKit...

I want to use it in scenes: when everybody leaves the house: stop playing. etc. Or when I set my "good night" scene to turn of all the lights and stuff: that it plays some chill-playlist for 30 minutes at a set volume in the bedroom for me to fall asleep peacefully.

HomeKit-scenes = pure awesomeness.

Also, tune into your favourite radio station when you say "Good Morning." That would also require support for radio...

Reactions: BlankStar
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.