Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tCHat89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 27, 2024
Hi,

I have a Samsung TV from 2018, which only supports ARC (and not eARC). I plan to buy 2 HomePods (Gen 2) and use them as a pair with my Apple TV 4K.

What will I lose in terms of audio quality with this setup compared to a scenario where the TV supports eARC?

Are those HomePods overkill for this setup?

OR is this a stupid question if I use an App on the Apple TV to stream the signal ?

Last edited:

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
eARC just adds extra bandwidth so that it can carry newer higher bandwidth formats, regular ARC will carry dolby digital 5.1 just fine.

The only thing it would add is atmos, which the homepods just kinda similate, so you're not loosing a lot

If you're using an app on the aTV, then it will just go direct from the aTV to the homepods.
If you're using an app on your television, or a device connected to your TV, like a cable box or blu-ray player, then eARC is used to get audio to your homepods, by routing though the TV.

So if you're not using anything besides the aTV to play videos, then you won't need ARC/eARC at all.

and if you are using another device to play, it will be limited to DD5.1, which for a system like the hompods with no way to add surrounds, is more than enough.

you may want to look at other options, you should be able to get a sound bar with subs and surrounds for similar or less price than 2 homepods. I prefer a hard wired connection for my AV stuff, less options for failure or interference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.