Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ctucci

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
Yer Mom's basement.
I kinda like the convenience of the HomePods Gen2 in a stereo config. But the audio is mid at best. I have a pair of CW AT-15s that are 20+ years old, and all frequencies are far better represented.

Even cranking it on an old POS at 100W absolutely destroys these at any kind of volume.

Sure, they're handy, but I'm a little tired of Apple trying to tell me that mediocre is premium.

I have those AT-15s pumping three rooms away, and they sound better in all frequencies than these HomePods right in front of me.

I think apple needs a come to Jesus moment regarding performance. Real performance.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I think you’re mistaking what the HomePod is intended for. It’s not meant to blow your windows or ear drums out. It’s an aesthetically pleasing shelf smart speaker with integrated Siri for convenience of voice commands. I’m no audiophile by any means but the sound is very clear and enjoyable in my opinion.

With that said, if you want to discuss how awful the software and Siri is, I can go on all day about that. I think the hardware is good for what its intended purpose is though.

erihp

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2020
If you want to keep the performance you are happy with, just use an Airport Express Gen 2 with Airplay 2 as the source to the existing speaker system and put a cheap Homepod Mini nearby for the Microphone/Siri.

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
Attached to my AppleTV, a stereo pay of the original HomePods actually outdoes my Vizio soundbar with a subwoofer. But we do not tend to blast the sound super loud.
For audio, I unpaired my other pair and use them standalone for Siri and background sound in the kitchen and living rooms. They are quite pleasant and full in this application. They would not compete with my AV system with PeachTree DAC/Preamp and Event Opal professional monitors costing more than $5K.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.