Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gank41

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
I’m not sure if others have had this issue or not, seems like something that would have come up.. I just switched my Comcast speed and had to go from my own purchased Motorola modem to their Xfi big white rectangle modem, and now I’m unable to connect to my HomePods at all. I’ve even gone as far as resetting them and set them up again, and when I do I get a message about my network not supporting peer-to-peer networks. Ugh.

I’ve tried reaching out to Apple Support but they’re (obviously) saying it’s a Comcast issue. But I can’t be the only one with Xfi and HomePods...

E2374245-E616-4441-B64C-5F9FD0DCADE6.jpeg

gank41

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 25, 2008
It seems like the 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz networks need to have the same SSID in order for everything to work. Which is a shame because I’ve had separate networks for more than 2 years now. Thee only thing that’s changed was the modem, but I set the two SSID’s to be identical to what was setup on the prior Modem. Oh well.

EDIT: Turns out combining my 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz Wireless Networks solved a number of other problems I had only AFTER getting my new Xfinity modem: Both my Netatmo Weather Station and my StarlingHome Hub were having issues! Now they aren't. Boom.

Last edited:

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
I have Xfinity and Xfi Pods (because of the latter we have the 'combined' bands) but good to know if we ever get one of these.

Reactions: gank41
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.