Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markeaston

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2022
Over the last decade, for movies and music, I have purchased:

2000 albums
1600 movies

At an average of $15 each - that is an expenditure of $54,000!!
I also own 4 HomePods (two large ones and two minis), a mac mini (I have had a new one every 2 years for the last decade or so), the latest iphone pro max (I get new ones ever 2 years), the latest iPad, iphones for my wife, lots of accessories - cameras, coffee cups, lights and so on. I am also a software developer and use various mac laptops for my work. I have two of my sisters and a good friend using mac minis and it goes on So I am sure I, personally, have spent close to $100k with Apple over the last decade!

In fact I just checked. It has been 15 years that I have been a loyal customer.

I have two apple id a/cs. I was forced on to a second apple id about 5 years ago due to iphone/my itunes library issues. The only eway I could solve my issues was to start using a new account and then switch between the two accounts - but you cant do this with the homepods, nor the iphones.

Will Apple merge my two accounts and solve a lot of problems for me? No! And look at the money I have spent and still no. Their unwillingness to help me I find incredible - especially considering my obvious large investment they can clearly see in my two apple accounts.

I have four HomePods and they are ridiculously useless. So much of my iTunes music ( which I have purchased!) they can’t play. I, also, unfortunately have two apple ids each with a lot of media I have purchased over the years. Both music and movies. Hence I have no interest in subscribing to Apple Music. So, anyway, I am forced to use family sharing to access music in the other account. But the HomePods, full stop, ignore family sharing. I have tried everything. Am well aware of ALL the potential reasons why. Wifi bands etc. I have contacted Apple Support a number of times and they could not help. Last time the guy promised he was going to work it out and get back to me. Never heard from him again. After that every message I sent to Apple in that case was consequently ignored. Just shocking. And let’s not forget that the HomePods can only play some of the music I have purchased in my primary Apple ID. So this is more than a family sharing problem. I have about 500 albums I have purchased from Apple over the years on one Apple ID. On the other I have about 1500 albums! So that’s a LOT of music I have purchased over the last 10 years or so. And I can only access a small percentage of that music on my HomePods. It’s criminal. Am I pissed off. Yes!!! The new release makes no difference. I have seen a LOT of people complaining about this but the idiots at Apple don’t give a toss. I’m a very experienced software developer and so have a deep appreciation of what it takes to write software such as iTunes. I reckon they put limited resource on it and only attend to the occasional issue.

Surely from a legal standpoint, I purchased something and it is no longer fit for purpose. So I should be getting a full refund? That is where my head is presently and I am considering how to approach this legally - with lawyers. When Apple sold me the music it is pretty clear that I had full rights to play all that music on my apple devices. And from a "fit for purpose" standpoint I should be able to so reasonably. Seems to me I have a case.

I am stuck in the apple eco system due to all the media I have purchased.
Apple cannot and will not help with the above and other issues.
I am severly let down.

BTW as an example. I have an album I have purchased on my primary apple id -> Wrangled by Angaleena Presley. Nothing I can say to Siri will get my HomePods to play this album. I had Apple Support look at this issue specifically. They went very quiet on me on that one. I have another album, Talking Heads - Little Creatures Deluxe Edition. I cannot ask for this album to play. But I can ask for Talking Heads and it will play tracks from the album (and other Talking Heads albums I have). If I ask Siri "What is this album"? She says it is "Talking Heads - Little Creatures Deluxe Edition". I again ask her to play that album - she again says it is not in my music library. lmao These two issues and other varations I have many many times in my library. And yes, my HomePods wil play no family shared music.

I am sorry that I am so angry in this message. But I have been facing these problems for a decade - the homepod related issues from the moment the HomePods were first released in Aussie - and I purchased two from JB HiFi.

And finally my support case where they refused to respond to me was 101722721983. I see that support case has now dissapeared. So they ignored me totally. They never updated the case any further. Eventually they deleted it. The Apple Guy I dealt with was Dorian. He said that he would get back to me within 48 hours. Never heard from him or any other Apple Support person again. I have emails as evidence though ...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.