Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

gw0gvq

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
Barry, South Wales, UK
Why is it when iPhone rings my Mac, iPad and Apple Watch ring with incoming calls from my iPhone but my HomePod won’t? It’s crazy when one of the functions is to make and receive calls another is using it as a speaker phone yet some of the devices they make that are not meant for the above halve ringers that are audible on them.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Why is it when iPhone rings my Mac, iPad and Apple Watch ring with incoming calls from my iPhone but my HomePod won’t? It’s crazy when one of the functions is to make and receive calls another is using it as a speaker phone yet some of the devices they make that are not meant for the above halve ringers that are audible on them.
So it’s not annoying like landline phones when you get a solicitation call at 3am.
Seriously though, would be nice if they did this along with text notifications, with the ability to mute past a certain time of the night.

Reactions: throAU

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
I think it's because on your Mac, iPad and Apple Watch you are already authenticated and signed in. With HomePod, multiple users are supported and you authenticate with your voice (personal requests) and only for whatever command you just issued.

With voice authentication, you can answer a call on a Homepod. It just won't ring, because until you tell it to pick up (using your voice), you're not authenticated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.