Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Petey-ed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 17, 2009
Couple things here:

Did anyone get this email from Honda saying they aren't updating their apps in time for the iOS 8 roll out?

http://links.email.honda.com/servlet/MailView?ms=MjE0NTk3NjES1&r=ODM5OTg3MDk5MDgS1&j=NDAxMDEzMjMzS0&mt=1&rt=0

Here is what rubs me the wrong way; they sell these services for their cars, they also have fleets of engineers on staff, and they can't roll out iOS 8 updates that they've been allowed to beta test since June? Honda is a multibillion dollar company and they can't get software updated in time and rolled out? This is really quite poor on their part.

Also, where is the promised CarPlay on 2014 Honda Civic's? I bought the recent Honda Civic (EX-L w/ Navi) so I really don't need it, but it would be nice to use Apple's interface with my phone versus Honda's clunky system.

The car manufacturing technology side needs to be flipped on its head. CarPlay was announced last year and so far there are a total of zero cars on the road right now with CarPlay.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Couple things here:

Did anyone get this email from Honda saying they aren't updating their apps in time for the iOS 8 roll out?

http://links.email.honda.com/servlet/MailView?ms=MjE0NTk3NjES1&r=ODM5OTg3MDk5MDgS1&j=NDAxMDEzMjMzS0&mt=1&rt=0

Here is what rubs me the wrong way; they sell these services for their cars, they also have fleets of engineers on staff, and they can't roll out iOS 8 updates that they've been allowed to beta test since June? Honda is a multibillion dollar company and they can't get software updated in time and rolled out? This is really quite poor on their part.

Also, where is the promised CarPlay on 2014 Honda Civic's? I bought the recent Honda Civic (EX-L w/ Navi) so I really don't need it, but it would be nice to use Apple's interface with my phone versus Honda's clunky system.

The car manufacturing technology side needs to be flipped on its head. CarPlay was announced last year and so far there are a total of zero cars on the road right now with CarPlay.

Ferrari's with it have hit the streets to customers.

----------

also

Mercedes-Benz and Volvo have said that although they were aiming for 2014, the technology won't reach drivers until 2015.

Probably 2020 for Honda.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Carmakers are stupidly conservative when it comes to technology.

Aside from a few high end companies willing to push the envelope, like Tesla Motors, you cannot expect timely updates for ANYTHING car-related. Car tech moves a lot more slowly than the computer industry. For instance, they were still putting tape decks in cars long after we've all stopped playing tapes. It took ages for cars to have a Line-in jack as standard, even years after MP3 players became popular.

I'm enjoying the hell out of my 2014 Honda Accord coupe, but I sure as hell don't expect any technology integration beyond basic bluetooth, iPod USB and line-in support.

jamesetakacs

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2014
Has anyone has had their Bluetooth experience completely ruined by iOS8? I literally cannot use any function since the update. I can elaborate with my issues if necessary.

shaunvis

macrumors member
May 26, 2009
Illinois
Has anyone has had their Bluetooth experience completely ruined by iOS8? I literally cannot use any function since the update. I can elaborate with my issues if necessary.

I had a few BT issues during the beta. Try deleting and repairing it in your car

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014
My iPhone 6 has been working flawlessly through bluetooth and USB on my 2014 Civic LX Sedan.

I haven't tried phone calls yet. Just music.

jamesetakacs

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2014
My iPhone 6 has been working flawlessly through bluetooth and USB on my 2014 Civic LX Sedan.

I haven't tried phone calls yet. Just music.

I'm also driving the same vehicle. In black, for that matter. I'm using an iPhone 5C.

Okay, so to specify, it works totally fine in terms of playing music via bluetooth and USB. My issue comes into play when a call comes in. I cannot answer the call with the steering wheel. It doesn't respond. I'm then forced to answer the call via the handset. The audio source shows HandsFreeLink but I can't hear any audio. I have to change the audio source to Speaker or iPhone. The screen will say that it transferred the call to the handset when I do that. Also, if I'm listening to a CD (I know, I know) it won't interrupt the CD to take the call at all. I haven't tried deleting the pair because I did a clean install on iOS 8, so I already had to delete my pair and pair it after the update. Also, when using Siri, it used to begin an audio session that looked like a call was beginning (on the car's LCD), and when Siri completed the command, it would end the session. Now, the session won't end, and I can't manually end it by hitting the steering wheel button, or anything on the radio. I have to wait for the car to end the session automatically, which typically takes 10-20 seconds. So in short, Siri is useless via Bluetooth now. So I cannot perform voice automated calls from my phone, unless I use the phonebook built into the car (which I refuse to use in 2014). I hope this is a quick resolution as I got to use the feature in my car for about 6 months before I lost it, and this is my first vehicle with Bluetooth connectivity.

If you (Jayson) can attempt to make a call while connected using Siri, or receive a call, all while listening to music, let me know the result.

I also just thought of another issue I had, but this is totally random and happened in iOS7 too. When listening to music, then attempting to use Siri while connected via Bluetooth audio, Siri would begin and then immediately end. So the music would pause, Siri would come up with the ding, then attempt to listen for less than 1 second, and beep like it couldn't hear anything, but it wouldn't even let me attempt to say anything. It sounds like they just didn't try using the iPhone with all the features before shipping the radio.

Last edited:

DLA75

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014
I had no problem linking my iPhone 6 to my 2014 Civic LX's bluetooth. I have had no problem making phone calls . The iPhone 6 is also able to work with car's stored speed dial contacts and voice tags i set up with my iPhone 5.

I the Hand Free Link bluetooth set up menu did not recognize what type of device it was but was still given the 0000 paring number to type into the iPhone 6's bluetooth menu.

mcaswell

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2013
I really hope Honda doesn't decide that their "Hondalink" (with its absolutely horrid collection of apps, limited usefulness, lackluster UI, and apparent compatibility problems) is an acceptable substitute for true CarPlay. I'm looking to buy a new Civic soon, and if the suits at Honda decide that maintaining a tight grip on the mobile interface (presumably so they can force people to buy their $60 lame navigation app), for the first time in my adult life my next new car will not be a Honda.

SheepNutz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Kantuckee
I'm pretty sure Honda never promised Carplay on 2014 Civics. You have a source for that? I have a 2015 Fit with the same exact Hondalink system, and I doubt our head units will ever be able to be upgraded to Carplay compatibility.

mcaswell

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2013
I don't even think they've explicitly promised it for 2015 Civics. All I can find regarding the 2014 is a bunch of "my brother in law works at a Honda dealership, and he said CarPlay will be added via a firmware update" kinds of posts on various forums (along with some posts that indicate the opposite).

Anyway, it looks like the 2015 Civics are shipping now (presumably without CarPlay)... if they later update the 2015 to support CarPlay, but not the 2014 (which reportedly has an identical system), I'm sure there will be many angry owners.

lelisa13p

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2009
Atlanta, GA USA
Previous iPhone 5 and now iPhone 6 both recognized and linked via Hondalink in 2013 Honda Civic LX (iOS 6, iOS 7 and now iOS 8.) No problems setting up or accessing for use.

ZebraDude

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2014
Naperville, IL
Couple things here:

Well...I have a 2013 CRV EXL and I don't believe I will get car play BUT I have BT Audio Full HandsFree connectivity and I get and can listen my TXT Messages.

:)

Petey-ed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 17, 2009
I don't even think they've explicitly promised it for 2015 Civics. All I can find regarding the 2014 is a bunch of "my brother in law works at a Honda dealership, and he said CarPlay will be added via a firmware update" kinds of posts on various forums (along with some posts that indicate the opposite).

Anyway, it looks like the 2015 Civics are shipping now (presumably without CarPlay)... if they later update the 2015 to support CarPlay, but not the 2014 (which reportedly has an identical system), I'm sure there will be many angry owners.

This. Honda and Apple modeled and showed Carplay with the 2014 Honda Civic. The fact that they wouldn't give an upgrade path to allow Carplay to the vehicle would be pretty "backhanded" of them.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
My 2011 VW Touareg audio/navi integration works just fine with my iPhone 6+.

I do wish the voice command button on the steering wheel would have triggered Siri but meh, whatever.

justin77

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2015
Honda and Apple deny it.

This. Honda and Apple modeled and showed Carplay with the 2014 Honda Civic. The fact that they wouldn't give an upgrade path to allow Carplay to the vehicle would be pretty "backhanded" of them.

I almost feel like a class-action lawsuit against Honda and Apple. They conspired together to put these systems together and promote them, but then when we bought the cars "oh no, we never intended to do that." I've been told many times by both companies that it's the other's fault and that I have to talk to them. I'm f-----g fed up with Honda and Apple on this one. Bait and switch. They would likely lose a class-action consumer protection suit and end up owing damages. I just don't have the money to contact lawyers about it. Who's interested?

Petey-ed

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 17, 2009
I almost feel like a class-action lawsuit against Honda and Apple. They conspired together to put these systems together and promote them, but then when we bought the cars "oh no, we never intended to do that." I've been told many times by both companies that it's the other's fault and that I have to talk to them. I'm f-----g fed up with Honda and Apple on this one. Bait and switch. They would likely lose a class-action consumer protection suit and end up owing damages. I just don't have the money to contact lawyers about it. Who's interested?

There was no promise from Apple or Honda to have it in the 2014 model. Just because they demo-ed it in the Honda Civic, doesn't mean it had to be in the Honda Civic.

I am however interested if Honda is going to have some sort of update to the 2014 software to accommodate this. Do we have any news? It's been almost a year since announced.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.