Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
This is my second attempt at purchasing and using a Mac Mini M1, as my main computer. Frustrating, to say the least.
I feel like I am failing at my attempt.

- Monitor: Samsung 49" monitor, connected via HDMI. Works, but, if I reboot the Mac (say for an update), then the Mac Mini does not see the monitor, till I disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable. I can live with this; after all, how often will I need to restart the Mac Mini. Seen other posts online about this. Odd really.

- Logitech MX Keys: Currently, I have a unifier connected to the Mac Mini. Since Bluetooth connection is simply awful. Now what happens often, is the keyboard computer selector button will start to flash. Meaning, it is not connected to the Mac Mini. After all, I used the unifier due to the Bluetooth issues (not remaining connected or stuttering when using the mouse and keyboard). As a test, I have since connected the unifier to USB C/Thunderbolt, versus USB A. Let's see what that does.

- Restarting on its own: This morning, went to my workspace to start working, only to see a message on the screen about the Mac Mini having restarted due to an issue. Sent report to Apple. But, not 100% sure what the issue was, software or hardware, don't recall

Considering this is only a 2 day old Mac Mini, with the latest Big Sur 11.4, just not fully confident with my purchase. Rather unfortunate.
My idea was/is to switch to Mac OS (desktop), versus Windows. But, these issues are not helping that cause. Honestly, rather close to just returning this unit and continuing with my Windows PC.

PS: As my Missus would say, "It should just work..."

Reactions: turbineseaplane

gusping

macrumors 68000
Mar 12, 2012
Just to chime in on my 2018 Mac mini experience which I bought at launch and still use. I've had so many display issues with it, particularly at launch. I had to mess around with HDMI, USB-C and Displayport cables, and even then it was a guaranteed success. It was then partially fixed over time and worked ok (not great), but was broken again by Big Sur and has been a mess ever since. I also have restarts with Big Sur, when waking from sleep (kernel panics). I think most of the issues are Big Sur being the worst OS ever created (I think it's worse than Vista :p), but more broadly, I don't think Apple knows how to make a desktop computer given their fetish for overly thin laptops. I'd return it and try again in a few months if you want to. It's just not worth the hassle sometimes (speaking from experience).

familychoice

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2015
I think if you’re unhappy with it, and can’t solve the problems with your current kit, then send it back.

I’ve ordered a 16/512. Hoping it will work with the two old 24” monitors I have here (both work fine with my MBP 16”), if not then it’s going back to Apple. I haven’t got time to waste fannying around with it.

Feyl

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
It sucks that your experience is this bad. I personally don't have much issues with my M1 mini. The only small issue I have is sometimes wonky sleep/wake and very rarely lagging cursor with my Magic Mouse. As keyboard I'm using Magic Keyboard and 27" 4K HDR LG monitor via HDMI too but without issues.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Consider using a Mac in clamshell mode with dock (if needed) instead of the mini.
And this right here, is how this whole project from Windows to Mac OS started.

I have an old MBA, early 2015. But, did not want to spend in the thousand dollar range, to get an MBA/MBP M1 AND then purchase cables to connect to USB C/Thunderbolt.

I will add, connecting the MBA early 2015 to a monitor and the thing just bloody works.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

I have an old MBA, early 2015. But, did not want to spend in the thousand dollar range, to get an MBA/MBP M1 AND then purchase cables to connect to USB C/Thunderbolt.

I will add, connecting the MBA early 2015 to a monitor and the thing just bloody works.
I think your experience will be much better with a newer Mac set up like you did with the early 2015 MBA.

Reactions: circatee

Kung gu

Suspended
Oct 20, 2018

MBA/MBP in clamshell mode is MUCH more reliable. Don't know why but the Mac mini always sucked with external displays and bluetooth is the worst.

Heck, some people get an iMac because its so much more stable than a Mac mini.

Mac mini is the worst the Mac in terms of reliability.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
I think your experience will be much better with a newer Mac set up like you did with the early 2015 MBA.
Merely curious, what is your recommendation between an M1 MBA vs. MBP?
The apps I would be using would mainly be web based, besides:

- Microsoft 365 Office suite
- Parallels portal, for one work app

Thanks in advance

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

Thanks in advance
If you go with the clamshell mode and use it for work a lot, I would get the MBP. It will be able to do more sustained workload.

Last edited:
  • Love

Joniz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2017
I have a 2018 Intel Mac Mini that’s rock-solid right now.

Used to have Bluetooth issues, but since I moved it from under my monitor, in front of my keyboard & mouse, to a mount under the desk, I’ve had no problems at all.

I think the distance solved the problem. Plus my desk is without the tangle of cables.

familychoice

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2015

Thanks in advance
I’ve got a 16” MBP, and while it works perfectly in clamshell mode, it does get hot used like this, which is my reason for getting the Mini. I think the new M1’s are cooler though.

I’m hoping I won’t have issues with a wired Mac keyboard and Magic Mouse, and since my monitors work with my two MBP’s there’s no excuse for the new Mini not to work with them too. I’ll live with these for a few months, then I might treat myself to the new Hauwei 4.5k monitor.

Last edited:

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
So long as the Mini remains in its current form factor, bluetooth is going to be problematic.
There isn't going to be "a fix", other than one the user devises for himself.

I'd suggest a 3rd-party USB BT receiver, coupled to one of these plugged into the Mini's USBa port:
Loop it around so that the BT end is in the vicinity of your display. This gets it away from the "USB3 area" of the Mini, and the RF interference that is present there.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Got my 2018 Mini one year ago. No bluetooth problems with my space grey Magic Keyboard with numeric keypad. Also have a Magic Mouse that seems to work fine, but rarely use it because a traditional 3-button wired mouse works better with my legacy Windows software.

My keyboard is only about six inches away from the Mini however, so maybe that's why I don't have problems?

Reggiebaldwin

macrumors member
Apr 24, 2021
I am probably in the minority but I bought the previous generation Mac mini, magic keyboard, Logitech mx master mouse, and a LG 4k 24 inch monitor at that time. I have upgraded to the M1 Mac mini for $240 with the trade in and have never had a problem previously nor now. No shutdowns, aways recognizing the monitor and super fast. I will be the first to post if I have a problem but all good so far.

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
So long as the Mini remains in its current form factor, bluetooth is going to be problematic.
There isn't going to be "a fix", other than one the user devises for himself.

I'd suggest a 3rd-party USB BT receiver, coupled to one of these plugged into the Mini's USBa port:
Loop it around so that the BT end is in the vicinity of your display. This gets it away from the "USB3 area" of the Mini, and the RF interference that is present there.
Seems to be a potential reason why rumours of the next Mini suggest a move back to a part polycarbonate case like in previous body shell types (2006 intel mini for example).

If the colo guys who buy a lot of these Minis have a say then why couldn’t Apple just change the material type used?

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
I have a 2018 Intel Mac Mini that’s rock-solid right now.

Used to have Bluetooth issues, but since I moved it from under my monitor, in front of my keyboard & mouse, to a mount under the desk, I’ve had no problems at all.

I think the distance solved the problem. Plus my desk is without the tangle of cables.
it does make me wonder if a proportion of Bluetooth issues are to do with distance and line of sight, since the metallic case design doesn’t seem to help. it’s not an intel thing as M1 Mac users report it while USB3 peripherals can also cause interference.

what concerns me more is the number of people reporting no video after a restart (also an oft reported issue in this configuration of Mac) and also signs of caveats while using high speed USB-C SSD storage as a cheap way of extending what is purchased within the Mac Mini.

circatee

Contributor
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Well, that was that. I returned the unit to Costco. It was $100 off the Apple price (exact same model, etcetera).

The sad thing about Costco, if you use a Mastercard type debit card, like say Capital One, you get a cash refund. Yeah, so that happened.

Now onto the MacBook Pro M1. Let's see how this one does. Thanks to @Apple_Robert for the tips and suggestions.

familychoice

macrumors regular
Mar 5, 2015
Well, that was that. I returned the unit to Costco. It was $100 off the Apple price (exact same model, etcetera).

The sad thing about Costco, if you use a Mastercard type debit card, like say Capital One, you get a cash refund. Yeah, so that happened.

Now onto the MacBook Pro M1. Let's see how this one does. Thanks to @Apple_Robert for the tips and suggestions.
I’m hoping to avoid the Bluetooth issues as I’ll be using a wired keyboard, and Apple’s own mouse. The only concern is how it’ll behave with my old monitors, but as they’re fine with my MBP’s, I’m banking on at least one of them working.

Still, there’s always the 14 day return window if my experience is anything like yours!

polyphenol

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2020
Wales
I got my refurb Mac Mini 8/256 today. Am far from competent with MacOS, though I have a little experience. Using USB-C into a Dell monitor and Microsoft Wedge mouse and keyboard (bluetooth). So far, managed to import loads of data from a Windows machine, set up Microsoft Office including OneDrive, DropBox, FireFox, then time for dinner.

Have started setting up remote access - but need to get my head round exactly what to do.

So far, the only real problem has been typing characters like #. Perhaps I will have to get a real Mac keyboard to avoid excessive frustration.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.