Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
Looking to see if anyone here is using the Honor Magic V2 Global or other version that isn’t Chinese specific.

I am contemplating getting one but also looking at maybe waiting to see what Honor announces for 2024 year.

Looking for some real world use. The YT vids waffle from OMG BAD to OMG GREAT. :rolleyes:

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
I am now the owner of a black V2.
Have to say the packaging was very impressive. Pics below. Maybe not. I’m getting an error saying the 3mb file is too large :(. Odd. I cropped a small amount off each and now they are good to go :oops:. Color me baffled.

Upon unpacking everything I am really impressed with the device. Thin is in! For a foldable.
It is a tad bigger, slightly heavier and a hair thicker than my 15 ProMax. Face up and with a quick glance I have grabbed the wrong one a time or two.

First impression - perfect hand size. The front facing screen is great, the folding action really smooth, and the inside screen also great. However … the software is an OMG! It looks like the illegitimate child of an iOS/Android breeding event. Not the nice features either. Okay… time to dive in and see what can be ”adjusted”. It does come with some bloat apps but all can be uninstalled (FB, Instagram, LI, TT, etc…). It does come with the Honor store installed but you get an access error here in the US. Since it comes with the full bevy of Google and can sideload this is not an issue. For security, the side fingerprint sensor (power button) works quick and flawless. Just putting your finger on it, if recorded, unlocks it. FaceID is good but has a hesitation. Will look to see what can be done to improve it.

Second day - after spending a bit of time on Google and YT, I found a way to fix some of the initial issues. Settings looks like iOS/Settings with a lot chopped out. There are additional options to make it more Android like including dev access. My grand-daughter was looking at it and she felt the initial setup was social app oriented - she liked it. Me, not so much. I also found and option to turn off the iOS like Home Page layout and move to an Android app drawer design. Every app I tried works great on the front screen just like any stock slab device. When folded it works, feels, and acts just like any other phone. When unfolded, you can set apps to run split screen, adapt to full screen, or run centered. Each app can be individually set.

Third day - Going to use this to start setting up default apps. Using FF as my browser and all is going well. To make things easy (for me), I initially set this up by copying data from my S24U. So far I have not found any of the apps I use that do not work. A couple of the Honor apps won’t allow access since I am in the US. Battery has been awesome so far but it has only been a couple of days. No wireless charging but it does have fast charge. Btw - it came with a 66W charger and a EU to US plug adapter.

More to come.

Attachments

• IMG_5679.jpeg
    IMG_5679.jpeg
    790.6 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_5681.jpeg
    IMG_5681.jpeg
    863.7 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5680.jpeg
    IMG_5680.jpeg
    862.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_5683.jpeg
    IMG_5683.jpeg
    512.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5685.jpeg
    IMG_5685.jpeg
    569.6 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_5687.jpeg
    IMG_5687.jpeg
    484.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5686.jpeg
    IMG_5686.jpeg
    662.4 KB · Views: 54

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
I am now the owner of a black V2.
Have to say the packaging was very impressive. Pics below. Maybe not. I’m getting an error saying the 3mb file is too large :(. Odd. I cropped a small amount off each and now they are good to go :oops:. Color me baffled.

Upon unpacking everything I am really impressed with the device. Thin is in! For a foldable.
It is a tad bigger, slightly heavier and a hair thicker than my 15 ProMax. Face up and with a quick glance I have grabbed the wrong one a time or two.

First impression - perfect hand size. The front facing screen is great, the folding action really smooth, and the inside screen also great. However … the software is an OMG! It looks like the illegitimate child of an iOS/Android breeding event. Not the nice features either. Okay… time to dive in and see what can be ”adjusted”. It does come with some bloat apps but all can be uninstalled (FB, Instagram, LI, TT, etc…). It does come with the Honor store installed but you get an access error here in the US. Since it comes with the full bevy of Google and can sideload this is not an issue. For security, the side fingerprint sensor (power button) works quick and flawless. Just putting your finger on it, if recorded, unlocks it. FaceID is good but has a hesitation. Will look to see what can be done to improve it.

Second day - after spending a bit of time on Google and YT, I found a way to fix some of the initial issues. Settings looks like iOS/Settings with a lot chopped out. There are additional options to make it more Android like including dev access. My grand-daughter was looking at it and she felt the initial setup was social app oriented - she liked it. Me, not so much. I also found and option to turn off the iOS like Home Page layout and move to an Android app drawer design. Every app I tried works great on the front screen just like any stock slab device. When folded it works, feels, and acts just like any other phone. When unfolded, you can set apps to run split screen, adapt to full screen, or run centered. Each app can be individually set.

Third day - Going to use this to start setting up default apps. Using FF as my browser and all is going well. To make things easy (for me), I initially set this up by copying data from my S24U. So far I have not found any of the apps I use that do not work. A couple of the Honor apps won’t allow access since I am in the US. Battery has been awesome so far but it has only been a couple of days. No wireless charging but it does have fast charge. Btw - it came with a 66W charger and a EU to US plug adapter.

More to come.
Nice write up.
I was tempted by this device myself as it really looks like the perfect foldable. However the OnePlus Open was deemed as having a slightly better camera but I read up on that phone and it’s meant to be terrible for quality control.
So many horror stories all over Reddit about OP customer service - or lack thereof.

So I ended up sitting both out. Plus, I don’t love the look of this OS.
Interested to read more of your thoughts, though!

Reactions: dk001

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Good review. Even Honor is an independent company, it was owned by Huawei. As Huawei is sanctioned to death. Still they are thriving with Harmony OS, only few weeks had a chance of using Huawei Mate 60 Pro, all the Google apps except Google Pay can be used in US.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Fourth Day: Been making my way through the apps and so far all have worked. Even FF9. Biggest pain so far is some apps open 4:3 instead of full screen. You can go into Settings and change this by app. Flipping between closed and open has not affected any app. They go from inside to outside with no crashes or glitches. Impressive. Between playing with the apps this device hasn’t even gotten warm.

Setting up the Home Screen now that I have it set to Android app drawer mode, widgets were a bit of a pain. You pinch the screen in and there is no widget listing, but instead has cards. This has all the honor widgets and a few that came with the device. You have to scroll to the bottom and select “Classic Widgets” to find all the rest or widgets from added apps. Once there, all the widgets I have tried including ones that have transparency all work.

Notification runs like a cross between iOS and Android. Not bad but I find the ones on my S24U to be better though these are better than iOS. Still looking to get the status bar working ala Android.

Spent a bit outdoors in direct sun reading on Kindle and email on Proton. Even in direct light the screen gets bright enough to easily read in both light and dark modes.

WiFi has been good on both 6 and 5. Speed pretty much matches the 1+ 12. Same with range.

The OS comes with a built in Virus scanner. Have not been able to find out much about it and have it off at present. Not seeing a need for it.

I tried this on my car wireless Android Auto (Sync 4) and could not get it to connect properly. I could get it onto the select list put when selected from the linked phone list it fails to connect. Working on this one.

Just for a quick comparison, I have used a Fold 4 and looked at the OnePlus Open. Both these are like bricks when comparing thickness and feel. Really liking the thin feel of the V2. For folks in the US looking at getting a Global model, it does work well on T-Mobile (so far) but you may find the setup a bit of a challenge right out of the box. This is one that takes a bit of patience, Google, Reddit, and YouTube.

Still really liking this device even with the OS quirks.

More to come….

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
This device folded looks just like any other smartphone.
Shown below side by side:
1+ 12, 15PM, S24U, V2.

Attachments

• IMG_0495.jpeg
    IMG_0495.jpeg
    538.8 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0497.jpeg
    IMG_0497.jpeg
    549.1 KB · Views: 58

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Update: after a weekend

Spent some time doing weekend stuff, small hike, shopping, dump run, etc… using the V2 as my device. Overall it was good. Battery was great ending with more than 50% left at the end of each day. Small hike and running around town was not an issue and mapping was spot on. Directions via Google Maps worked as expected. All the basic functions I expect from a smartphone were there and worked. Except one. Wireless calling. I checked with Honor online and the feature they said was there was not. Hmmm. So I checked Reddit. Lo‘ and behold it is a known issue for Global. Turns out T-Mobile supports the V2 but doesn’t support the V2. Clear? Mud. TMo allows it on their network but doesn’t provide specific support for the device. I ended up downloading Activity Launcher from the App Store and used that to activate the wireless calling function. Wireless calling needs to be on for RCS to work properly on this device.

While doing this I also found the device was OEM locked however there is an option in dev settings to turn this off.

So, so far there have been no real major issues using this in the US. A couple of quirks solved via Google and Reddit. Part of the problem is that Honor tried to make this look like and sorta work like an iOS skin over Android function. May look kind of cool (?) but makes solving issues a bit of a challenge.

More to come. 👍

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
Been using this as my main for over a week now. Had a couple of updates - minor.
Have to say I am really liking this device. Yes, the OS needs some work not because it has issues, well it does, rather that some features are designed to mimic iOS while others stock Android, while others…. Ugh.

When it comes to daily use the battery is damn good. It lasts me the day with 40%-60% left (6+ hrs SOT) at the end of the day. One quirk when charging, it asks you to open the device to facilitate faster charging. Gues it has to do with heat dissipation. Charges quick. Even if I forget to put on charge at night, I can cable up in the morning and in about 30 minutes or a bit more it is at 100%. Not bad.

All the apps I normally use on Android, including sideloads, all work on this device. It really is a nice touch for some apps to open the device and have a wide view. It will alert you that some apps may reload after switching between screens. I have not seen much of this though. The fact that it is very thin really makes using it nice. I have tried a Galaxy Fold and checked out the OP Open and they are thick. Very different use/feel. Have not tried a Pixel. When closed it is just another candy bar phone. Open it becomes a mini-tablet. btw - most apps have no issue moving to full screen. The couple I found that do work well in 4:3 mode. This can be set by app.

Have had no issue with WiFi for 5 or 6. Speed is always up there and have not seen any drops. Cell (5G/LTE) has been quirky a time or two, no dropped calls - this was data and I am thinking it has to do with T-Mobile. They don’t support it but allow it work on their network. Wireless calling did not show on my device on TMo but I was able to activate it by using Activity Launcher. Need to look at this app a bit more.

I find I use this about 60% open and 40% closed. Likely skewed a bit as it is a new device. The shine is still on.

One aspect to keep in mind, a number of Honor functions do not work as I am in the US and these are not supported here. Honor App Market, Honor ID…. Tried to get the Honor Desktop to work however it is very buggy. It comes with a built in virus scanner. I have disabled it as I still cannot find out much about it.

On to the camera. It is pretty darn good. I would not say it is at S24 Ultra or Pixel 8 level, or even 15 ProMax, but it does a very good job and has performed well for all the pics and vids I have shot.

Limitations: it is NOT water proof, dust proof, or pretty much anything proof. I had to remind myself as I was getting a bit careless as my other devices are.

Summary so far: Love the hardware and would just add waterproofing to this. Wireless would be nice. But baby, Thin is In!!! Yes, the software needs some work and no word on when this device will get Android 14 Honor style. But please, take off the iOS mimicry. Like I mentioned in an earlier post: “It looks like the illegitimate child of an iOS/Android breeding event. Not the nice features either.” is so true. End of day I recommend this device if you are willing to spend a few hours and some research to get it set up. On TMo.

More to come :cool:

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
UPDATE:

Had a bit of a crazy time over the weekend trying to fix the issues that cropped up after the latest update.

After the update I started running into apps that acted as if I was logging into it for the first time yet info from my prior logins showed in some parts of the screen. Heckfire, Citi Mobile, Costco, Adobe, …

AFter as couple of forced reboots, cleaning apps, etc…, I found a solution. Honor OS comes with an App called System Manager which allows the user to do tasks like Cleanup, Dropzone, Virus Scan, etc… - things we used to do in prior days on Android. I ran that and let it do its thing, uninstalled the problem apps, reinstalled the problem apps, and when reopened the apps, they picked up as if there had never been any issue. :oops: Since then all has been working like a charm.

No idea what caused it.

More to come.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Oct 3, 2014
One month in ...

Been using this device as my main for the last month.

Pros:
1. Thin!!!! Closed it feels like a regular device. Open like a small thin light tablet. Really nice.
2. Battery has been great! Easily get a full day even when most use is in open mode.
3. Connections - WiFi/Cell/BT have all been really good.
4. Easily usable indoor and outdoor. Easy to read in sunlight and the device does not get hot.
5. Every app I use works. Even though it runs HonorOS, Android apps are working.

Cons:
1. Not water proof anything. Have to remind myself this phone has water as its kryptonite.
2. The OS is a mix of Android and iOS in design. Not in a good way. Honor needs to fix this.
3. I've had a few apps just stop working requiring uninstall then reinstall to fix. PITA.
4. It has never worked well with Android Auto (Ford Sync 4). I finally got it to connect but it will stop randomly.
5. Honor OS. It may be okay however I have run into a few issues not to mention it looks like the brainchild of an anime driven iOS fan that has to have Android. Not good.

Summary:
If you can get past the OS design, drop on a new launcher, currently using Nova, you will find you have a great fold-able device. If someone else comes out with a thin folding device like this I can use in the US, I will be checking it out.
The price was a bit on the high side however it has become a great find. Light, fast, easy to use, and with a great battery device. I call this pretty much a winner. I only ask Honor to work on the OS design a bit more.

Reactions: magicman32
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.