Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jaqen

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 18, 2006
I have a new macbook pro and want to hook it up to my tv for a second monitor or whatever. Anyways, I have no clue what cables I needs. My brother has a s-video port on his powerbook and uses that just fine but I have a dvi (or mini-dvi? whatever...). Been looking around but can't find a connector that converts it to r/y/g to hook it to my tv (old tv, so don't have any of those high-def connections).

I've been looking around and the closest I can find is this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814999903

But that's only for hdtv I believe.

Thanks.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
What you need is the "Apple DVI to Video Adapter". Links direct to the Apple store don't work well, but do a search on that name and it should come right up; runs about $20.

Plugs into the full-size DVI port on your MBP on one end, then has kind of a chunky box with a yellow "RCA" style video out as well as an SVideo out, if you want. I've got one in my travel bag right now so I can watch video from my MBP on a hotel TV.

Remember that if you want sound out you're also going to need to get an minipug-RCA adapter for the sound output; they sell those at any Radio Shack, and you can almost certainly find one in most "drug" stores, too--Walgreens, Rite Aid, Longs, KMart, etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.