Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doucy2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
is there any way i can like up my two powermac g4s (one is 1ghz other is 500mhz) and used them as one mac to run apps
any help would be appreciated

these 2 powermacs are also for sale

cheers

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
doucy2 said:
is there any way i can like up my two powermac g4s (one is 1ghz other is 500mhz) and used them as one mac to run apps

these 2 powermacs are also for sale

cheers

Are you trying to rig it up so that instead of two separate computers, you're trying to combine processor speeds, so it's a 1.5GHz PM?

I don't think it works like that... if it did, I'd hook together my iBook and PowerBook and be sitting pretty with a 2.4GHz laptop.

you COULD network them together, to share drive space or something..

ammon

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2005
Colorado
If you are using compressor to encode video, just hook up your firewire cable between them and set them up to be render nodes.

Works like a charm!

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
I have drempt of this many times. Like hooking up 10 mac minis and stacking those suckers on top of each other like a tower. This would be soooooo cool.

Mac_Freak

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2005
MacTruck said:
I have drempt of this many times. Like hooking up 10 mac minis and stacking those suckers on top of each other like a tower. This would be soooooo cool.

and so expensive. For $5,000 you could buy two Dual 2.3 G5 or one maxed out Dual 2.7 with 10k or even 15k drive for virtual and scratch memory

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Mac_Freak said:
and so expensive. For $5,000 you could buy two Dual 2.3 G5 or one maxed out Dual 2.7 with 10k or even 15k drive for virtual and scratch memory

..yeah, but it would look cool!! :p

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Mac_Freak said:
ooups, I guess I forgot about the geek factor. ;) :D

You also wouldn't need a space heater for a 4 mile radius around that thing.

I swear, my room is always 10 degrees hotter than the rest of the house.. it's the POWERBOOK!

I told Aaron that today, and he just laughed at me. Punk.

When I'm not spending money on space heaters...

..he also won't be because he has a 1 GHz PB.. hmm. I didn't think this one through. :eek:

doucy2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
Hooking My 3 Powermac G4's together

is there any way i can hook all of my powermac G4's together and use them as one computer

cheers

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
Xgrid lets you do that, but the software you use has to be Xgrid capable and there are just a handful of programs that will let you do that. Like huge science and medical programs.

doucy2

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 7, 2005
yellow said:
If you're fairly saavy, you can write your own XGrid plug-ins...
i'm not that savy lol

im sure i'll figure something out

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.