Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
I'm looking into buying a 15" PowerBook G4 Rev. D on eBay. I'm curious as to the outcome of the horizontal lines issue that was a problem on a lot of Rev. D PowerBooks. Was there a firmware fix, or something else?

I've emailed the seller, asking him to check. While I will take his response at face value, I have to remember that he is trying to sell a product, and make that product look as good as possible. I would like to know if there is a way to fix the problem, or if Apple will fix it for you (the PowerBook has 5 months left on the standard AppleCare program; I'll be buying the full AppleCare protection as soon as I get the PowerBook).

Thank you for your help!
Seth

mmmcheese

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2006
I've seen this "lines" issue in person...and you have to look extremely closely to even be able to notice it. Unless you're super anal about these things, I doubt it would really be a concern.

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
mmmcheese said:
I've seen this "lines" issue in person...and you have to look extremely closely to even be able to notice it. Unless you're super anal about these things, I doubt it would really be a concern.

Sounds good to me. The seller says that he works with photos a lot, and he has never noticed anything on the screen. Thank you for the help.

SuperSnake2012

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2005
NY
I've also heard of a few people on this forum getting their PowerBooks exchanged for MacBook Pros by Applecare, so maybe you'll get lucky :)

thairs

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2005
Re:

This was only an issue with the Rev. E 15" powerbooks ie the one's with the higer-res 1440x960 display. The rev. d powerbook's have no such horizontal line issue if I'm not mistaken.

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
thairs said:
This was only an issue with the Rev. E 15" powerbooks ie the one's with the higer-res 1440x960 display. The rev. d powerbook's have no such horizontal line issue if I'm not mistaken.

There were only four revisions of the PowerBook G4, and revision D was the last one. The PowerBook G4 I'm interested in is the high resolution one.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I think you need to get a new display put in. There's a huge (75 page?) thread here about this issue. Towards the end you can find the part number that you need to request from apple.

sethypoo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
Sacramento, CA, USA
QCassidy352 said:
I think you need to get a new display put in. There's a huge (75 page?) thread here about this issue. Towards the end you can find the part number that you need to request from apple.

I am having a hard time finding that thread. Post a link if you can find it.

AlBDamned

macrumors 68030
Mar 14, 2005
sethypoo said:
There were only four revisions of the PowerBook G4, and revision D was the last one. The PowerBook G4 I'm interested in is the high resolution one.

No that's not true. The Rev E's had DDR2 RAM, hi-res screen and 128MB VRAM as standard.

khisayruou

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2004

m-dogg

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2004
Connecticut
khisayruou said:
Hmmm...Ive been calling my revision D a revision E...not cool. Well, I did get my screen fixed, so technically, its a Rev. E (1.67ghz with a no line High-Resolution Display). ;) Just call it an Oct 05 Powerbook G4 and everyone will be happy. :)

I just call mine a final revision or high-resoulution 15" PowerBook. :)

I think it has something to do with the 15" model being one upgrade behind the 12" & 17" - It stayed as a TiBook a little while after the AlBooks first came out in the other sizes. Or something like that.

Anyway, I got one of these as a refurb from Apple back in April and I don't have any line issue. At least that I can tell...

Temujin

macrumors 6502a
Oct 1, 2005
Copenhagen
lexus said:
Yep you are right.
Signature:
2.16 Ghz MacBook Pro 17"
2.16 Ghz MacBook Pro 15.4"
2.00 Ghz MacBook (Black)

I feel a need to ask why you have a 15" + 17" MBP AND a black MB?
You use em' all your self?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.