Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djc6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
Cleveland, OH
My iPhone 11 Pro has had horrendous battery life since iOS 14.6 came out at the end of May. I let it charge overnight and its dead by 3PM pretty much just setting on my desk doing nothing. Prior to iOS 14.6 I could go 2 days between charges, since I use my phone so little.

I recently spent a week somewhere else, and noticed my amazing battery life had returned! This got me wondering why leaving the house would result in better battery life. If anything, I feel I use the phone far less at home - since I have a macbook I do vast majority of texting, browsing, etc.. from when home.

So as an experiment I forgot my Wi-Fi network and only used cellular - and had fantastic battery life again!

Whats going on? I tried restoring the phone from a backup, didn't help. I tried turning off private address feature wondering if changing MAC addresses are confusing my router.

At home I have a Netgear Orbi RBR50 router with three satellites. My wife's iPhone 12 Pro and my daughter's iPhone SE (1st Gen; 2016) don't have these battery life issues on the home Wi-Fi. We have a couple iPads that also seem to last days on charge - only an issue with my iPhone 11 Pro.

djc6

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 11, 2007
Cleveland, OH
I performed a factory reset on my Netgear Orbi mesh router system a week ago, and my awesome battery life returned. I waited a week to respond just to have a full week of data to make sure the reset worked. Running iOS 14.8.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.