Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cdgood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2005
Canada
I'm seduced by all the possibilities. As a visual artist without much tech training. I want to sell my kits and artwork online. so many paths.
HELP !

And later,help other artists get a web presence.(selling bandwidth?)

Any opinions? Could anyone lay out the steps towards a prosperous, informative, functioning website.

I have rapidweaver, macromedia studio mx 2004 and adobe cs. I have the artistic skills,photos, is it just a matter of creating it on the computer, finding a host and going from there/ what makes a good host/ I want to be able to sell and reach lots of people. I have such a good product!

hopeful

ipacmm

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2003
Cincinnati, OH
For an online store, I use eShox, it has everything built right into it and you can even change the themes to make your own store design. As for web hosts, I can host it for you if you would like and I can work with you to help others get online.

theappleguy

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2005
is it just a matter of creating it on the computer, finding a host and going from there/ what makes a good host/ I want to be able to sell and reach lots of people. I have such a good product!

There are heaps of good hosts out there, for example TJR Networks and Myacen, but there are also some pretty dodgy ones who take people's money and disappear overnight. The key things you should look for in a good host is uptime, server load, how easy it is to contact tech support and how long they have been around for. I would suggest avoiding any host that has been around for less than six months and definitely avoid those with super low prices as well as those that claim to offer "unlimited" space and bandwidth.

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
On a jet plane
Easiest thing might be to set up a blog style website, so most of the hard work is done for you. You can then change and alter the look as you go along.

Check out something like Wordpress. As for hosting, I recommend Dreamhost, a lot of bang for you buck and they have easy one click install for WordPress as a bonus.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
munkle said:
Easiest thing might be to set up a blog style website, so most of the hard work is done for you. You can then change and alter the look as you go along.

Check out something like Wordpress. As for hosting, I recommend Dreamhost, a lot of bang for you buck and they have easy one click install for WordPress as a bonus.

I second the recommendation for Dreamhost. I use them for my personal website, and also recommend them to all the people I do web design for. I've never had a problem with them, and they have very generous disk space and bandwidth limits.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.