Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mentok..The Mind Taker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2016
This seems like a difficult fix. . .

What I am Attempting to accomplish:
Use my MacBook Pro (Mid 2010, El Capitan) as a Wifi Hotspot for my Galaxy s5 to connect to (Ethernet in -->Wifi out)

My Problem:
First, my ethernet connection will not authenticate, though I can browse the internet just fine, any website loads. When I attempt to Share my connection as a Wifi signal an error occurs telling me that this cannot be done because of a 802.1X security measure. The up arrow appears over my wifi icon in the top right of my screen, but my Galaxy s5 is unable to obtain an IP address.

Ancillary Notes:
I am not at a University, which is the setting of most of the threads I have read about this error. I am using an ethernet cord connected to my HOME wifi router. There are multiple devices using this router, wirelessly and not, none of which have any problem connecting to the internet. This error only occurs when I am trying to use my laptop as a hotspot (don't ask why I need a hotspot when I have wifi, I don't, but I am experimenting with my devices).

P.S. I imagine this is a problem within my laptop, not the router, but I am not sure.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Do you have security turned on for this sharing? Also are you using WPA2 Personal?

Also, what does this mean "my ethernet connection will not authenticate, though I can browse the internet just fine, any website loads" Are you saying your ethernet cable connection does not work?

Mentok..The Mind Taker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2016
Give me 10 minutes of researching
[doublepost=1468341071][/doublepost]
Alright i found this https://discussions.apple.com/message/11582365#11582365. And this http://apple.stackexchange.com/ques...-internet-connection-because-of-802-1x-protec. It seems like it has something to do with the built in 802.1x security settings, which i do not recommend you changing. A possible solution would be to share the internet with bluetooth instead, and if you are lucky it will use a NAT connection instead of a bridged one, and should therefore work.

Ah, thanks again. I have looked at one of those links before. Good thing is, this is a home connection, my closest neighbors are 100ft away from my room, so I'm not concerned with security, plus i wouldn't have my hotspot active most of the time. Also, i haven't a clue how to share internet through bluetooth, didn't think that was possible.
[doublepost=1468342160][/doublepost]
Do you have security turned on for this sharing? Also are you using WPA2 Personal?

Also, what does this mean "my ethernet connection will not authenticate, though I can browse the internet just fine, any website loads" Are you saying your ethernet cable connection does not work?

Hello,
with Wifi turned off, I am able to access the internet fine with the ethernet cord. How would I go about finding my settings for security regarding sharing? I don't see anything leading me to those settings. Lastly, when I connect the ethernet cord, while im looking at System Preferences>>Networks, it says under disconnect/connect "Authentication server is not responding".

Batgirl97

Suspended
Jul 12, 2016
Ah, thanks again. I have looked at one of those links before. Good thing is, this is a home connection, my closest neighbors are 100ft away from my room, so I'm not concerned with security, plus i wouldn't have my hotspot active most of the time. Also, i haven't a clue how to share internet through bluetooth, didn't think that was possible.
It should be possible, goto System preferences > sharing > internet sharing then on the dropdown dialog "share connection from" choose thunderbolt, and then choose bluetooth-PAN, here https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18970?viewlocale=en_US&locale=sv_SE is an article about it. It is quite slow tho... but it should work!

Mentok..The Mind Taker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2016
It should be possible, goto System preferences > sharing > internet sharing then on the dropdown dialog "share connection from" choose thunderbolt, and then choose bluetooth-PAN, here https://support.apple.com/kb/PH18970?viewlocale=en_US&locale=sv_SE is an article about it. It is quite slow tho... but it should work!

Read through it. This is for gaining access to the internet for your laptop from your phone, not the other way around. Also, maybe it could work like that, the other way around, but my laptop is 6 years old now, it seems like it lacks the ability, at least by my thorough examination of all the gooy interface in sSystem preferences>>Sharing

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
OP, please do not past in unknown terminal commands or scripts. There's no way to tell if the code that was posted was malicious or note. The member was posting that code in several threads. I'd look to maybe restore your system, since its possible that the code was malicious

Reactions: jerryk

Mentok..The Mind Taker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2016
[MOD NOTE]
OP, please do not past in unknown terminal commands or scripts. There's no way to tell if the code that was posted was malicious or note. The member was posting that code in several threads. I'd look to maybe restore your system, since its possible that the code was malicious

Yeah, i thought about that. copy it and paste it in Google perhaps.
-Thank you

YOLO
[doublepost=1468344239][/doublepost]

So, i don't have those convenient options that the last article you sent does, also thank you for your help so far.
This is what im working with (see attachment)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-07-12 at 1.17.20 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-07-12 at 1.17.20 PM.png
    88.7 KB · Views: 487

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
That code posted by the now-deleted poster was indeed malicious. I tested it in an isolated virtual machine and it installed a hidden directory into ~/Library/Application Support called ".MC" and installed hidden LaunchAgents into ~/Library/LaunchAgents. The script attempted to download a Java applet which would open up a back door which Symantec calls "Backdoor.jeetrat". If anyone ran this it's attempting to download this applet once every 60 seconds. This is not the sort of thing you'd want to leave on your computer, and neither Malwarebytes or Symantec AV detect it unless the Java applet is successfully downloaded. Even then, the downloading mechanism is left in place by Symantec as it's only the code inside the specific applet that Symantec finds to be a problem. I didn't dig further to see what else the script might be doing when it runs every 60 seconds.

Last edited:
Reactions: jerryk and maflynn

Mentok..The Mind Taker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 12, 2016
That code posted by the now-deleted poster was indeed malicious. I tested it in an isolated virtual machine and it installed a hidden directory into ~/Library/Application Support called ".MC" and installed hidden LaunchAgents into ~/Library/LaunchAgents. The script attempted to download a Java applet which would open up a back door which Symantec calls "Backdoor.jeetrat". If anyone ran this it's attempting to download this applet once every 60 seconds. This is not the sort of thing you'd want to leave on your computer, and neither Malwarebytes or Symantec AV detect it unless the Java applet is successfully downloaded. Even then, the downloading mechanism is left in place by Symantec as it's only the code inside the specific applet that Symantec finds to be a problem. I didn't dig further to see what else the script might be doing when it runs every 60 seconds.

Ah, thanks for informing us!
Do you know how to remove this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.