Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

robydiamond

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
Hi, in my Macbook pro retina with Yosemite using ipad/ iphone hotspot (USB or WIFI) the connection is very very slow, with physical router speed is normal ...

do you have a feedback for me ?

Thank you Roberto.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
Hi, in my Macbook pro retina with Yosemite using ipad/ iphone hotspot (USB or WIFI) the connection is very very slow, with physical router speed is normal ...

do you have a feedback for me ?

Thank you Roberto.

Hotspot speeds are determined in part on the quality of the cell signal, as well as how you're connecting (i.e., LTE, 4G, 3G, EDGE, etc). Without specific numbers for bandwidth, hard to say why you might be having a problem.

robydiamond

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
Hotspot speeds are determined in part on the quality of the cell signal, as well as how you're connecting (i.e., LTE, 4G, 3G, EDGE, etc). Without specific numbers for bandwidth, hard to say why you might be having a problem.

OK, in the same conditions ( SIM LTE enabled) the speedtest made directly from iPhone is 40 Mbit/sec; from Mac using hotspot ( wifi or cable) by same iPhone is 500k :)

It's a Yosemite clean install...

thank you

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK
OK, in the same conditions ( SIM LTE enabled) the speedtest made directly from iPhone is 40 Mbit/sec; from Mac using hotspot ( wifi or cable) by same iPhone is 500k :)

thank you

Here's my results:

LTE signal, three bars

iPhone via cell network:

20.33/13.55 (down/up)
20.58/11.60
22.53/11.73

Avg: 21.15/12.30

Mac via Instant Hotspot:

20.53/6.59 (down/up)
18.47/8.33
23.00/5.23

Avg: 20.67/6.72

So for me, there is no appreciable difference in download speeds, although the hotspot upload speed is about half of what the phone itself can pull off the cellular network.

matt2053

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2012

thank you

.... are you sure your iPhone is NOT connected to WiFi?

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013

thank you

Sounds like the link is actually bluetooth and not cable/wifi. Check your network settings to see if it is linked via bluetooth in addition to the other two and see which one has priority.

robydiamond

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 9, 2012
thanks to all!

in this moment it's ok! speedtest is fantastic in wifi hotspot ... 49 Mbps D, 7 Mbps UP ...:eek:

rob.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.