Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kalinatek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2005
i have a Sony 5MP digital cam , i would like to shoot some widescreen picx for my iMac G5 , is that possible ? or do i have to just use a software to make them look wide ?

thanks guys

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
The best way would be to take the pictures, and then crop them using Preview, or better a photo editing program like GraphicConverter or Photoshop, to be the same ratio as your monitor, which is 16:10. :)

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
If you have Photoshop CS2, you can use the Photomerge plugin to create panoramic images.

Go to File > Automate > Photomerge.

Or shoot wideangle and crop to your iMac's widescreen ratio. 1440x900 or 1680x1050.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
Either crop them to fit or combine two - you're going to find it a lot easier to crop the bottom or top off than merging two.

And you can crop in iPhoto.

D

Kalinatek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2005
OutThere said:
The best way would be to take the pictures, and then crop them using Preview, or better a photo editing program like GraphicConverter or Photoshop, to be the same ratio as your monitor, which is 16:10. :)

but by doing that wont i lose some of the picture ? .. cant i just like take some pics that are 100% widescreen (16:10 ratio) without editing anything?

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
Kalinatek said:
but by doing that wont i lose some of the picture ? .. cant i just like take some pics that are 100% widescreen (16:10 ratio) without editing anything?

Not really, you have to lose some of the picture to size it widescreen, because the camera's sensor is not the same ratio as your screen. You can either stitch two images together, so you are only losing part of your additional image, or you can take the pictures with cropping in mind, and try to keep your subject within a certain area.

Edit: you could also stretch or shrink the images to fit, but that would look ugly and squelched, even if it didn't lose any of the image.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
Assuming you have a 20" iMac, 1680x1050 equals 1.8 million pixels. Your 5MP camera has enough resolution for a quality desktop background. Shoot to protect the width of your images.

Here's to the Crazy Ones

Kalinatek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2005
Lacero said:
Assuming you have a 20" iMac, 1680x1050 equals 1.8 million pixels. Your 5MP camera has enough resolution for a quality desktop background. Shoot to protect the width of your images.

i am using a 17 inch iMac G5 and yeah i do have CS2 , thanks!! :D :D

i really dont care about size , i just want quality picx (Wallpaper)

:cool:

Kalinatek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2005
how can i make the picx bigger in the photomerge thing? they wont cover the whole area..?

Applespider

macrumors G4
You have a several hundred dollar software package and you don't know how to resize an image? :rolleyes:

In Photomerge, it generally isn't at 100% zoom since few people have monitors large enough to show all those pixels. If you took the images at full-size then they should be big enough when you save the merge to go the width of your screen. Cropping some is so much easier.

Kalinatek

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 29, 2005
Applespider said:
You have a several hundred dollar software package and you don't know how to resize an image? :rolleyes:

In Photomerge, it generally isn't at 100% zoom since few people have monitors large enough to show all those pixels. If you took the images at full-size then they should be big enough when you save the merge to go the width of your screen. Cropping some is so much easier.

1-I am a new mac user
2-I Didnt BUY the software (downloaded it)

:D

efoto

macrumors 68030
Nov 16, 2004
Cloud 9 (-6)
Kalinatek said:
1-I am a new mac user
2-I Didnt BUY the software (downloaded it)

:D

3-Are not very discreet :rolleyes:

You'll find that piracy is not viewed well on these boards, so don't expect a ton of help from the bulk of members when you come out saying you downloaded CS2 and now you want help using it.

Google is also a great friend, get to know her ;)

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
OutThere said:

Another option can be that the software that came with the camera has an application that can do the stitching.

My P&S Canon has this software, along with a special "stitch image" setting on the camera.

I'll start a new topic called "Tips" to detail a few things I've learned about how this camera works....

Oh, and for the OP, a Student Licence for Photoshop is the way to get started; at $289.95, its half the price of a standard licence.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.