Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

elensil

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 1, 2002
Brooklyn, NY
I have heard that G3 can go up to Gazillion Ghz (ok i meant FASTER then G4). Sahara (700mhz G3) is already using .13 micron architechture. I also heard that IBM had developed a vector unit (AltiVec copy). Next step is logical and welcome. Cheap and fast, energy efficient, vector enabled chip.
Welcome in new iBooks:D

topicolo

macrumors 68000
Jun 4, 2002
Ottawa, ON
jeez, if that happened, the G3s would have to be renamed to G4.5s because they'd be sooo much better than moto's pieces of crap

ThomasB

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2001
No MP support

The G3's (in their current design) are not multi-processor capable. But if the are really fast who cares? The G3 FX-something (Sahara) are already available at 1 GHz, and have been for months.

-Thomas

firewire2001

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2002
Hong Kong
Re: No MP support

Originally posted by ThomasB
The G3's (in their current design) are not multi-processor capable. But if the are really fast who cares? The G3 FX-something (Sahara) are already available at 1 GHz, and have been for months.

-Thomas

from what ive heard it has absolutely nothing to do with the processor architecture when you get into mp's.. it has to do with other factors...

if im wrong.. why arent the g3's mp capable?

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
The G3 with vector processing could find a home in the laptops and iMacs, where dual-processing is not of importance. Good possibility if Apple wants to move away from Motorola all together.

Macpoops

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2002
PA
Isn' t the G4 basicly a G3 with a vector processing unit with a few improvements. Namely smp? So basicly your asking for an IBM G4. we're getting an IBM G5 based on the POWER4 in a POWERPC version the question is when

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
People ...

The G4 is a G3 with Altivec and a 604 FPU.

Any rumors of G3's clocking to outrageous levels over a G4 are false. In fact with the short piplines of both processors both are pretty much equal in clocking capability.

G3's don't support the 5 states of Cache Coherency which is called MERSI

Modified
Exclusive
Reserved
Shared
Invalid

You could run G3's in a MP config but they would be inefficient.

Chryx

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2002
Originally posted by nuckinfutz
Any rumors of G3's clocking to outrageous levels over a G4 are false. In fact with the short piplines of both processors both are pretty much equal in clocking capability.

The 750FX is 4-stage, the 7455 is 7-stage, but the 750FX is .13 :)

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
I love the G3s, my pismo still rocks, tho I want an ibook now. I wish that Appple would switch to IBM, they are just a better company, even Motos phones are crap.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Sucks doesn't it

Originally posted by Chryx
Originally posted by nuckinfutz

The 750FX is 4-stage, the 7455 is 7-stage, but the 750FX is .13 :)

Had Moto had the .13 micron die shrink for the G4's we'd be looking at 1.4Ghz Powermacs right now instead of 1.25

rice_web

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2001
Minot, North Dakota
Don't worry, we'll see faster G4s using .13micron manufacturing by November in a quiet release of an updated PowerMac... using the fully-DDR memory compatible 7470.

Just a hunch, but I'd put my money on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.