Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 16, 2015
Since the new music app is revamped, I think if it is possible to start a discussion of this new music app.

I do use this much, because I listen to music a lot in a day.

Music app in beta 3 is much more stable than beta 2 and beta 1. I now test this app extensively, to see if this app could meet my need. :)

There are lots of known issues discussed in this post:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1880994/

Here are some issues reported in this post:

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/21264012/
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/21264030/
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/21303266/

:p

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 16, 2015
Looks like few guys want to discuss this?

I have found that when trying to add songs to a playlist, there is no obvious indicator showing that this song is added, like what happened in iOS 8.3 and before.

It is also difficult to see if a full album is added or not.

luke lau

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2015
Belfast
They removed the album track list button! I missed that thing so much on spotify and now I have to go back and search for the album with the stock app too. At least it looks pretty

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 16, 2015
They removed the album track list button! I missed that thing so much on spotify and now I have to go back and search for the album with the stock app too. At least it looks pretty

Album track list button? I didn't notice this on iOS 8.3.

BTW, I finally see a member replying this discussion post. :)

luke lau

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2015
Belfast
It was the little list icon in the top right that showed a the songs in the album/playlist you were listening to

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 16, 2015
It was the little list icon in the top right that showed a the songs in the album/playlist you were listening to

You mean, that now playing button? This button is completely replaced by brand new now playing mini player situated at the bottom of the screen. Just drag that mini player up, and you can see what is going to play by tapping the icon between three dots and repeat button, as shown in This screenshot.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    486 KB · Views: 194

luke lau

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2015
Belfast

luke lau

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2015
Belfast
Isn't that the same button he was referring to? It is now located on the bottom of the mini-player 2nd from the right.

Sadly no, it shows the up next list. Normally the following songs from the album happen to be the ones that are playing next which is more or less the same thing but you can't see the previous songs from that album, so it's useless for whenever you're halfway through an album or started listening from a song other than the first track.
For example, why make sense? Is actually the last track in the album, but since that was the song I started playing from the rest of the album doesn't show up

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 147

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 16, 2015

See it. And yeah, I miss that button too. Now the only equivalent is the album list right before you switch to other songs. I mean, if you play songs when located it, you will be able to see where you are playing by minimising the mini player.
Oh, this is not equivalent. If you play right from where you left off, finding the exact track info could be hard.
I didn't think about this when I installed the beta 1.
Maybe up next list itself has already provided the info we want?

----------

And, do anyone know what that "history" section mean? Just don't know what this thing could do, and I don't know how to clean it.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 16, 2015
Yeah only myself consider this stock music app heavily? :eek:

I have found another interesting thing: :p

If you have any third party music app directly used for playing local music (such as muzik), when you play music in that app, and quit that app in multitasking screen, music playback will continue, but you will not see the stock music app living in multitasking screen. You can either start integrated music app to stop playing, or stop playing using control centre.

Plus, I set up family sharing on both my iPhone and my iPad, but because I need to switch between stores, I have disabled it weeks ago. This night I tried updating back to iOS 8.3 for several tests, then I accidentally see share button showing in the most right corner. When I clicked it, there was a prompt requesting my Apple ID password. After that, I could let music app download my iTunes library data.

Then, music app crash, over and over. I managed deleting all iTunes related files on iPad, then music app restored.

I think this could be a bug in iOS 8.3, since iOS 8.4 beta cannot use home sharing.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I'm looking forward to everything (Beats and iTunes) being combined to see how it works but while I wait I spend all of my time in Spotify. I tried to use iTunes music and my own music collection to save money once but that lasted about 2 weeks and I was back again to Spotify.

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Yeah only myself consider this stock music app heavily? :eek:

I have found another interesting thing: :p

If you have any third party music app directly used for playing local music (such as muzik), when you play music in that app, and quit that app in multitasking screen, music playback will continue, but you will not see the stock music app living in multitasking screen. You can either start integrated music app to stop playing, or stop playing using control centre.

Plus, I set up family sharing on both my iPhone and my iPad, but because I need to switch between stores, I have disabled it weeks ago. This night I tried updating back to iOS 8.3 for several tests, then I accidentally see share button showing in the most right corner. When I clicked it, there was a prompt requesting my Apple ID password. After that, I could let music app download my iTunes library data.

Then, music app crash, over and over. I managed deleting all iTunes related files on iPad, then music app restored.

I think this could be a bug in iOS 8.3, since iOS 8.4 beta cannot use home sharing.

I'm sure people will want to discuss it more when it actually comes out, it's still only in beta.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 16, 2015
I'm sure people will want to discuss it more when it actually comes out, it's still only in beta.

Yes. But since this is still in beta stage, problems and bugs found can be submitted before it is released. Then public can receive a better software package. Would it be better? :)

Just my own arrogant guess.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
I look forward to trying it and also trying the new streaming service. I am also wondering what they'll do with iTunes Match. I like being able to upload my own music. Right now I use Google Music because I can upload my own music for free and it'll mix in with their streaming service. However, the iOS app kind of sucks in my opinion.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 16, 2015
Question, will it work with my existing playlists in iTunes? In particular with my smart playlists?

I have downloaded the app and tested a while. I can tell you, for simple playing, it works. However if you hope this app can manipulate smart playlist, such as refreshing trend song list, I am afraid this is not possible, for now.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
This might be a strange question, but does it let you customize the view (artists/albums/songs) when working with playlists like it does on the main part of the app?

I haven't tried it yet because I want to wait until the next OS X version of iTunes ships because it will probably have the new image customization which I'd rather do on a computer.

---

I tried Marvis a long while ago now. I find it too complicated to navigate. I would like it more if it had that album table view when you clicked on an artist and not just a list to scroll through.

Really though, we should be talking about it separately though as the app has nothing to do with the new music app.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 16, 2015
This might be a strange question, but does it let you customize the view (artists/albums/songs) when working with playlists like it does on the main part of the app?

I haven't tried it yet because I want to wait until the next OS X version of iTunes ships because it will probably have the new image customization which I'd rather do on a computer.

---

I tried Marvis a long while ago now. I find it too complicated to navigate. I would like it more if it had that album table view when you clicked on an artist and not just a list to scroll through.

Really though, we should be talking about it separately though as the app has nothing to do with the new music app.

If you mean if users can change the playlist list view to artist, album or songs when viewing playlist, I am afraid currently working users can't.

The problem you have addressed is the same problem stock music app faced to before. Now stock music app can turn into album view when there are more than three albums under the same artist.

Reactions: Jessica Lares

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013

FYI. It does do that, it's that grouping function I was talking about earlier in the thread. Maybe it's a new feature added since you last used it

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 16, 2015
Have anyone use the search function much? Up next is not available in search result page. That is to say, we cannot simply search a song, and put it right in up next. Pain.
History page has its limit maximum song numbers? I still don't know what this function mean.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.