Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jedi5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
North Burbs, IL
Never done this before but I'm trying to create a sports highlight video.
I'm having problems adding transparent pictures to my video.

You know, the highlight pictures of the arrows, circles, etc... to identify the player.

I've googled transparent arrow pictures but when I add them to my video, the background still shows up.
Is there a way in iMovie to remove the background so only the arrow/circle show up on the video?

I've been going to remove.bg to have the backgrounds removed from the pics I want to use.
Then I import those pictures to iMovie and use in my videos.
That works great but I was just wondering if there was another or easier way to accomplish what I'm trying to do.

Also, I've been trying to search for a tuturial on how to create highlight videos and this is one of the better videos
I've found. While I like it, it's old and this guy I believe is using version of iMovie no longer available.

Is there a better or newer tutorial video out there someone can suggest?

Thanks!

Meuti

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2019
You have probably used/downloaded the wrong file formats. If you want to have a transparent object, make sure the filetype is png or gif.

Meuti

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2019
That's weird. If I pull a (transparent) png into my timeline it doesn't have a background. Maybe the pngs you have downloaded don't actually have a transparent background.

Jedi5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
North Burbs, IL
yeah, i know i'm using the correct file format.
i do click on picture in picture but the background still shows up.
i thought there was a setting or settings in iMovie thought could
remove the background. i guess not.

no big deal, the site remove bg is working fine.
once i have the arrows/circles i need, then it will no longer be a problem, LOL

thanks!

Reactions: Meuti
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.