Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sbagg89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Just browsing the holiday gift guide and it struck me that it is kind of crazy that Airpods Pro (2nd Gen) and Apple Watch SE are the same price.

I know one is top of the line in its category, and other is bottom of the line in its own ... but the technology/materials/components just seem starkly different (with a lot more going on for the watch).

All to say... it's crazy what people are willing to pay for earbuds!

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Just browsing the holiday gift guide and it struck me that it is kind of crazy that Airpods Pro (2nd Gen) and Apple Watch SE are the same price.

I know one is top of the line in its category, and other is bottom of the line in its own ... but the technology/materials/components just seem starkly different (with a lot more going on for the watch).

All to say... it's crazy what people are willing to pay for earbuds!
There's a lot going into AirPods. I don't know if it's more or less though. It's not like back in 1990 where it was a wire connected to a speaker. Good earbuds are worth for me but not everyone has this need or want.

MattG

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2003
Asheville, NC
I dunno...take a closer look at all that's in there and you might change your mind!

Reactions: myscrnnm

sbagg89

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Oh I agree... there are a lot of components / technology / engineering going into those AirPods. I love my Gen 2 AirPods.

Just seems crazy that it's the same as a watch with what on the surface appears to be more technology / components of higher value.

I guess the cost of OLED screens is less than I'd thought.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.