Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applefanb0y

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2022
How are the buttons holding up?

I currently own a 1.5 year old iPhone 11. Everything seems to be working great but I changed the case today and noticed something peculiar about the volume buttons. The volume down seems to be a tad bit harder than the volume up when I’m the case. When I removed the case I noticed that the volume down was ever so slightly recessed compared to volume up. I mean the difference is so subtle had to look at the chamfered edges of the buttons in light to see it. Not sure if this is how it is on most phones or if mine were like this from the beginning but overall everything seems to be doing just fine.

PS: anyone else can confirm if their volume button is tad bit harder to press in a case or if it’s ever so slightly recessed compared to volume up?

applefanb0y

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2022
My wife just got home and checked her 11 as well. Seems like her volume down button is slightly recessed as well. Not sure how common this is though.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I have the 11 Pro Max (February 2021). I don't notice any button recession. I suppose if I pulled out a magnifying glass I could probably find something though.

There is a shallow and short scratch in my screen though, but you have to use direct light to see it. I don't use my iPhone with a case so, not surprised. It's nothing that bothers me.

My wife's phone (11 Pro Max), IDK. She has hers in an Otterbox.

applefanb0y

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2022
I have the 11 Pro Max (February 2021). I don't notice any button recession. I suppose if I pulled out a magnifying glass I could probably find something though.

There is a shallow and short scratch in my screen though, but you have to use direct light to see it. I don't use my iPhone with a case so, not surprised. It's nothing that bothers me.

My wife's phone (11 Pro Max), IDK. She has hers in an Otterbox.
What about the pressure required to actuate volume up and down buttons? Is it the same when the phone is in a case?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
What about the pressure required to actuate volume up and down buttons? Is it the same when the phone is in a case?
I have no idea.

I've never paid any attention to that. I press the button up or down and the volume goes up or down - that's all I know.

Again, I don't use cases, so if that was a problem, it would not exist with my phone.

applefanb0y

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2022
I have no idea.

I've never paid any attention to that. I press the button up or down and the volume goes up or down - that's all I know.

Again, I don't use cases, so if that was a problem, it would not exist with my phone.
Fair enough!!

Reactions: eyoungren

headlessmike

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2017
My iPhone 11 is almost three years old at this point (my first iPhone bought at release) and I've used the clear OEM case since I bought it. It's held up really well and the only signs of wear are some small, barely noticeable markings on the display that are only visible when it is off and illuminated from an angle. I don't notice any differences between the volume buttons and they feel identical to each other.

I recall that my iPhone 4 had some variation between the buttons after years of living inside of a bumper, presumably because of uneven pressure being put on one of the two buttons. One of the buttons looked and felt slightly depressed when out of the case compare to the other. But even then they both continued to work fine for the life of the phone

Reactions: eyoungren

applefanb0y

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2022
My iPhone 11 is almost three years old at this point (my first iPhone bought at release) and I've used the clear OEM case since I bought it. It's held up really well and the only signs of wear are some small, barely noticeable markings on the display that are only visible when it is off and illuminated from an angle. I don't notice any differences between the volume buttons and they feel identical to each other.

I recall that my iPhone 4 had some variation between the buttons after years of living inside of a bumper, presumably because of uneven pressure being put on one of the two buttons. One of the buttons looked and felt slightly depressed when out of the case compare to the other. But even then they both continued to work fine for the life of the phone
Everything else about the phone is great for me! I mean the only issue is the ever so small difference in pressure required to actuate the volume up and down buttons and their slight difference in height. They click the same though so I’m hoping it won’t turn into an issue later.

Everything else about the phone has been in ship shape.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
My iPhone 11 Pro Max is in great shape. All of the buttons work flawlessly; it’s always been in an Apple Forest Green leather case. Battery health is currently at 86%.

Jeven Stobs

Suspended
Apr 8, 2022
My refurbed almost 1 year old 11P is doing ok. It’s refurbed after all.
My previous one had something similar to yours, as did my X I believe.
Unfortunately it’s normal but shouldn’t be much if a concern.
Wiggle them up and down (from back to front) and see how much they move to check if the rubber around them is still tight.

applefanb0y

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 9, 2022
My refurbed almost 1 year old 11P is doing ok. It’s refurbed after all.
My previous one had something similar to yours, as did my X I believe.
Unfortunately it’s normal but shouldn’t be much if a concern.
Wiggle them up and down (from back to front) and see how much they move to check if the rubber around them is still tight.
Actually the feel and sound of click is exactly the same. It’s just that volume down requires a hair bit more pressure.

raf_am

macrumors newbie
May 15, 2020
Bahia, Brazil
Have you tried washing your phone with water and soap? My father’s iPhone 11 had a similar problem, where the power button was very stiff. Turns out he had dropped beer on the phone a few times and so some of that stuff must have gotten between the button and the frame. So i washed the iPhone while pressing on the button a few times and the mechanism became smooth again.

Reactions: Andeddu

Kford

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2020
Mine will no longer charge using the cable but thankfully still charges wireless

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Our 13 year olds is still holding up perfectly after a year and half of his abuse. Buttons work fine and still charges great.

KOTN91

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2017
One of the most overrated iPhones ever, along with the 6S and all the plus variants from 2014-17 models!

I’m glad it’s old now so people no longer fawn all over it. XR, 12 and 13 are all much better from their respective years

• Haha
Reactions: The.Glorious.Son

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
One of the most overrated iPhones ever, along with the 6S and all the plus variants from 2014-17 models!

I’m glad it’s old now so people no longer fawn all over it. XR, 12 and 13 are all much better from their respective years
Every year IPhone generally improves over last year, so I’m not sure how newer models that supersede it and should be better are somehow relevant to this topic

And in what way was the XR better? Screen? No. Camera? No. Battery? No again.

Reactions: The.Glorious.Son
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.