Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are your frames scratched?

• Total voters

Khavik

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2023
Hi!
How are your black/blue pro iPhone frames doing without a case? I am about to order blue 15 pro max which I will propably put into silicon case and will not remove for next 2-3 years but I am interested how easy is it actualy to get some ugly scratches

Jared G.K.

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2023
I would love to (because the 15P shape feels great), but still don't dare to go caseless. It still feels too slippery for my likes, causing discomfort.

Khavik

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2023
If you don’t use a case it would be advisable to go for the natural titanium as ugly scratches and paint chips are otherwise inevitable.
Most likely ill get dark blue silicon case because I like dark colored phone

Reactions: Andeddu

rolandkoller90

macrumors member
May 2, 2017
So my launch day 15PM Nat Ti, was dropped and it hit a rock. I fumbled it like an idiot, which I never do. The frame looked extremely ugly with the gash it got. And let me tell you the titanium is soft because it pushed the frame in a bit where you could notice the edge around the glass wasn’t straight anymore. But I had to bring it in for a swap because of dust in the rear camera. I also confirmed that the replacement devices are built brand new. So my new replacement is in a case now. Always went caseless in the past but the new titanium frame is very soft like the aluminum ones. I’m missing stainless very much.

Reactions: JamesMcFlyJR

Kottu

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2014
I miss the period when I was not using a case on my iPhone 4 and instead it was covered with 'Invisible Shield' It was nice to hold and I did enjoy appreciating the built quality like a 'Leica' camera. Never dropped it and it was in pristine condition even after 2 years and it paid of 60 percent of Samsung S4 i bought.

When mobiles became more and more expensive ( Steve Balmer laughed about $500 smartphone), using a case became a necessity. Even with a case on, 2 of my phones got damaged. (Samsung's cases were the worst quality ones). I have seen a lot of people with broken display in the past, they all had one thing in common, no case. Having a case and a screen protector is a cheaper investment to get a descent amount back when you sell your mobile after a year or two. Larger phones with glass on both front and back doesn't do well on a hard floor.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Caseless is great………until that unexpected fall or the time you put it in your pocket and your change or keys are there also
Everybody knows what the iPhone 15 series looks like so you going Caseless is not if but when it gets scratched
On another thought, The coloring of the titanium on the iPhone 15 seems to scratch more easily than Stainless Steel’s of the iPhone 14
Bottom Line: case it or expect it to get scratched

Reactions: G5isAlive

shr631

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
Caseless is great………until that unexpected fall or the time you put it in your pocket and your change or keys are there also
Everybody knows what the iPhone 15 series looks like so you going Caseless is not if but when it gets scratched
On another thought, The coloring of the titanium on the iPhone 15 seems to scratch more easily than Stainless Steel’s of the iPhone 14
Bottom Line: case it or expect it to get scratched
Indeed.

90’s pop darlings the Spice Girls tackled this very issue in their chart-topping hit “2 Become 1”, wherein the songstresses urged listeners to use phone cases with the refrain “put it on, put it on…”

Prescient? I dare say so

Perhaps the world just wasn’t ready for their message of preserving the functional and aesthetic attributes of smartphones. C’est la vie

• Haha
Reactions: kitt9000

Nathan15038

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2023
Hi!
How are your black/blue pro iPhone frames doing without a case? I am about to order blue 15 pro max which I will propably put into silicon case and will not remove for next 2-3 years but I am interested how easy is it actualy to get some ugly scratches
I have a blue one and I don’t use a case on it but I’m very careful, so I don’t have any scratches yet, but this would definitely happen from like simply putting it in your pocket. I kinda want a natural titanium one now because I just decided to go case less. I would say if you are planning to go cases get natural titanium because I just saw a video of a guy that was able to like polish away like scratches on natural titanium and it just looks normal. Also, if you do drop it, there’s no like paint that will chip so you won’t really notice it much.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I just had to do a ER last week since I dropped my 15 Pro in my driveway. I put the replacement in a Peel super thin case for now (I’m sure I’ll eventually take it out of the case). But I am usually pretty careful with my devices.

Scott M

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2009
I have a black TAC case and it feels like I'm holding a full matte-black naked iPhone. Much recommend it to people who want the caseless feel but with scratch protection.

G5isAlive

Contributor
Aug 28, 2003
I have always used a case since the iPhone 4, but tried to go cashless with the 15 pro max because it just looks so darn good naked. And I am careful, so wasnt too worried about scratches. But the darn thing was just so slippery it was constantly sliding off whatever surface I put it down on. I tried to create friction by laying it with the camera bump down, but I would forget and .. slip! In a week that phone hit the floor probably more times than all my cased phones combined over the years. Fortunately the floor was almost always carpeted so no damage done. But I gave up and put a case on just to keep it from sliding off things.

Lakris

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2020
Norway
My titanium blue iPhone 15pro is good as new. I never use a case and I haven't dropped it, I don't put it in my pocket with other things and I'm always careful with it. I don't like to use a case, the phone is so pretty and good to hold and the case ruins that, even if its a very thin case.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
So after 3.5 months, over 1/3 of caseless iPhone 15s have some kind of superficial damage. After one year it’ll likely be 1/2 or 2/3rds.

If you use your phone for 2 years, which is probably average, that number will likely go up to 9/10ths of iPhones sustaining damage over their lifetime due to being caseless.

It’s not a risk worth taking, in my opinion

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.