Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
Anyone out there who dares run TFF on there G3 (yes G3) Mac, please tell me what YouTube video playback experience is like? I know there are dozens of YOUTUBE applications, but for the sake of curiosity, I am wondering how painful TenFourFox YouTube playback is on a 19 year old processor. Thanks!

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
Anyone out there who dares run TFF on there G3 (yes G3) Mac, please tell me what YouTube video playback experience is like? I know there are dozens of YOUTUBE applications, but for the sake of curiosity, I am wondering how painful TenFourFox YouTube playback is on a 19 year old processor. Thanks!

I don’t know about a G3, but I’d suspect it’d be unusable.

I tried using it on my 1.4 GHz G4 Mac Mini with 1 GB of RAM on Mac OS 10.4 and it was an exercise in patience. There were simple pages that loaded quickly. But modern websites that expect modern browsers and modern computers were slow enough to load that I would just give up.

I no longer have the G4, so I can’t perform and current testing. But this was approximately 2 years ago.

Perhaps refinements have helped since then.

I certainly have nothing bad to say about the developer. I have a lot of experience with him in years past on other projects. He is very talented and knows what he’s doing. But hardware limitations are the main issue.

Reactions: Hastings101

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
YouTube playback on the G3 just doesn’t work. Most of your faster G3’s (700-900MHz) are in iBooks which only support 640MB of RAM which is really tough on Tiger to start. Add on TenFourFox and the system just struggles. To be fair, TFF never has been a great YouTube browser even on faster machines.

Reactions: B S Magnet

Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
I
YouTube playback on the G3 just doesn’t work. Most of your faster G3’s (700-900MHz) are in iBooks which only support 640MB of RAM which is really tough on Tiger to start. Add on TenFourFox and the system just struggles. To be fair, TFF never has been a great YouTube browser even on faster machines.
know it doesn't really work, but does the video even load or play at all? How about the audio quality?

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Just use the alternatives ;)

1.jpg

z970

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2017
One thing I have to wonder about whenever TFF speed on slower machines comes up: is anyone taking advantage of the iOS Safari (iPad) user agent in the preferences? Maybe on G4s and lower?

I'd imagine it to speed everything up significantly. It was included for a reason, after all.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
One thing I have to wonder about whenever TFF speed on slower machines comes up: is anyone taking advantage of the iOS Safari (iPad) user agent in the preferences? Maybe on G4s and lower?

I'd imagine it to speed everything up significantly. It was included for a reason, after all.

That and the Classilla UA.
[doublepost=1558631005][/doublepost]

You do realise you've asked this question before....

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/youtube-not-working-on-600mhz-imac-g3.2163891/

amagichnich

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2017
Stuttgart, Germany
I

know it doesn't really work, but does the video even load or play at all? How about the audio quality?
Audio is always the same on YouTube, no matter the video quality or connection speed. But it will stutter more than it does anything else. Even on my G4s I never use YouTube in a browser but download the videos and watch them with CorePlayer. At least a G4 has AltiVec... I never dared watching a video on a G3

Project Alice

macrumors 68020
Jul 13, 2008
Post Falls, ID
Don't even think out youtube on a G3 lol
I loaded up this site on my bondi iMac last night just to see what it would be like. It's a bit slow but totally usable. Honestly just stay away from video playback, and facebook and most G3s should be able to load basic web pages just fine.
Classila used to be faster but since it hasn't been updated in like 3 years I find even safari 4.1.3 more compatible than it is.

Reactions: Slix

laylow

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2018

youtube will not load, and TFF is brutally slow on a G3. If you really want to watch youtube on a G3, get yewtube. The normal res mode plays just fine.

Hughmac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2012
Kent, UK

Thank you, TFF working more quickly on my G4 PowerBook with the iPad user agent :)

Cheers :)

Hugh

Reactions: z970

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
What about using the iPhone simulator that came with later versions of Xcode?

Or is that sluggish also?

I run my G3's in OS 9 with Classilla for what little web I need.

swamprock

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2015
Michigan
Arctic Fox PPC + mobile YouTube useragent override + View script + mplayer G3 = full speed 3gp video viewing on my Wallstreet PDQ. The View script has framedrop and other options set to facilitate this. Regular browsing with the same browser isn't all that painful, especially with colors set at 16 bit.

The same setup on my 800 Mhz iBook G3 can play 360p ("HQ" in mobile YouTube) video.

wsyoutube.png

Last edited:

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Arctic Fox PPC + mobile YouTube useragent override + View script + mplayer G3 = full speed 3gp video viewing on my Wallstreet PDQ. Regular browsing with the same browser isn't all that painful, especially with colors set at 16 bit.

Interesting that the add-on in Arctic Fox can download 3gp whereas Youtube-dl no longer can?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.