Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ucshade

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2022
From a good perspective I think apple has what it takes to increase the ppi of that phone and make it crisper at least on text as we see on plus phones….what do u think… or what could be the reason

Reactions: sorgo † and N69AP

Al Rukh

macrumors 65816
Nov 15, 2017
They didn’t have to increase it beyond 326ppi. Because as it is, the Liquid Retina looks amazing. It’s the best LCD available in a smartphone.

There are videos in the internet where people struggle spotting the difference between the XR and XS. It’s not saying much but it puts things into perspective and the bottom line is, the display on XR/11 is great.

Reactions: souko

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Higher PPI is needed if you hold the device closer to your eyes, like with 5.4-inch mini. With a 6.1-inch display, most consumers don't need higher than 326 PPI.

Personally, I think consumers would rather have a low-cost 6.5-inch LCD device rather than a higher PPI.

Ucshade

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 28, 2022
Higher PPI is needed if you hold the device closer to your eyes, like with 5.4-inch mini. With a 6.1-inch display, most consumers don't need higher than 326 PPI.

Personally, I think consumers would rather have a low-cost 6.5-inch LCD device rather than a higher PPI.
But if it’s adjusted to that 6.5 the ppi becomes worse on text as we know the 6.1 is still a bit different imagine when stretched further

Reactions: sorgo †

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I’m still waiting (likely forever) for a new Max/Plus iPhone that uses the 401 ppi LCD screen.
That screen is so important to me that I purchased an iPhone 8 Plus a few months ago.

I have a regular sized iPhone 8 and I definitely don’t like looking at it for long periods. Bugs my eyes after a while.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
But if it’s adjusted to that 6.5 the ppi becomes worse on text as we know the 6.1 is still a bit different imagine when stretched further

PPI is fixed number. Whether a display is 6.1-inch or 6.5-inch, the PPI can be the same. There is no "stretching." Think of how the 11- and 12.9-inch iPad Pro have the same 264 PPI and are equally sharp.

In general, the larger the display, there is less need for high PPI because the display is held further away. This is why iPhone and iPad mini have higher PPI.

macsound1

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
I’m still waiting (likely forever) for a new Max/Plus iPhone that uses the 401 ppi LCD screen.
That screen is so important to me that I purchased an iPhone 8 Plus a few months ago.

I have a regular sized iPhone 8 and I definitely don’t like looking at it for long periods. Bugs my eyes after a while.
Why specifically 401 PPI?
The 8 Plus is actually not pixel perfect like the other size iPhones are because they render at 3x and then downscaled. https://www.paintcodeapp.com/news/iphone-6-screens-demystified

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.